|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Ya know, the times of that book everyone talks about.
Can overlap with Ancient Egypt (Genesis and Exodus) and Ancient Rome (the entire New Testament), but is usually centred around the area of Ancient Israel—Jerusalem, especially. Home to staff-wielding doom-croaking prophets, Philistines, miracles, and loads of people in big robes who sit tableau-like around tables or rocks, looking awe-filled and reverent.
There are many biblical events disputed with regards to date or accuracy. Most historians date the Israelite Exodus to 1400 BC (there is no other record for the Exodus other than the Bible, but the official Egyptian records DO list a suddenly smaller Israelite population), and the rest of the Old Testament from 1000 BC to 500 BC. The New Testament had the death of Christ dated around 30 AD. Keep in mind that very few dates are accurate due to the various calendar systems used.
Popular tropes from this time period are
- As the Good Book Says...
- The Chosen One
- A Day in the Limelight: Usually an expansion of a background character's fates, or Elsewhere Fic about an Original Character meeting a canon character and having his life changed as a result.
- Do Not Do This Cool Thing: While the two empires more often than not provide villains of these stories, it is much rarer for them to not make a case for the glory that was Rome, or the splendor of Egypt.
- The Final Temptation
- Moses in the Bulrushes
- Sword and Sandal
Works that are set in this time period include
- The Bible:In The Beginning...
- The Greatest Story Ever Told
- History of the World Part One (in places)
- Jesus Christ Superstar
- King David
- The Last Temptation of Christ
- Monty Python's Life of Brian
- The Nativity Story
- The Passion of the Christ
- Peter And Paul
- The Prodigal
- The Robe
- Samson And Delilah
- The Story Of Jacob And Jospeh
- The Ten Commandments
- The Dudley Moore comedy Wholly Moses!
- Year One
- The Bible (surprise, surprise)
- Cartoon History of the Universe (the first couple volumes)
- Lamb the Gospel According To Biff
- Many Waters
- The Red Tent
- Some episodes of Stationery Voyagers.
- Quo Vadis
- The Winds of Zarr
- The Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible
- Joseph, King of Dreams
- Judas and Jesus
- The Prince of Egypt