|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Zoidberg: "Forgive me, my friend."
—Futurama, The Day the Earth Stood Stupid
Shouting the word "NEVER!" to show a character is determined not to do something, and will proclaim it, usually either angrily or proudly.
Note, without the determination being expressed, it's not this trope. It's just shouting a word that happens to be "never".
Compare Big No.
Contrast Big Yes.
- In the final battle between Simon and the Anti-Spirals in Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Simon shouts "Take/Eat this!" with a huge "never" as a response.
- In One Piece when Kuma is about to finish off the whole crew on Thriller Bark, he offers them a chance if they give Luffy in. They all answer "NEVER!!" and get nuked by his attack.
- In The Smurfs comic book story "You Don't Smurf Progress", the waste disposal robot, who became the tyrant of the Smurf Village, shouts this when he tries to escape from the front door of his castle, but finds himself surrounded by the Smurfs that were once his captives, demanding for his surrender. He tries to use a secret escape hatch, only to be turned into furniture when Handy cuts off his escape with his furniture-making machine.
- In Return of the Jedi, Vader is about to say he will take Leia to the dark side or something else terrible would happen to her, thus taking the last family Luke has. He shouts this, cutting off Vader's sentence, before unleashing his Unstoppable Rage.
- Home Alone:
Kevin: You guys give up? Have you had enough pain?
- In The Rescuers Down Under, after Cody says he'll never tell McLeach where Marahoute the eagle is, he uses the Big "Never!" twice in a row.
- Uttered by Zira at the end of The Lion King II, just right after refusing to accept Kiara's offer to rescue her and falls to her doom in the river below.
- Mortal Kombat: Shang Tsung during the final fight.
- Robin Hood's father shouts one of these at the begining of Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves when the Sherrif and his lynch mob/cult asks him to join them.
- Toy Story 2:
Stinky Pete: Your choice, Woody: you can go to Japan together or in pieces. If he fixed you once, he can fix you again. Now get in the box!
- Beauty and the Beast: Belle says this after Gaston says he'll save her father from getting thrown into the asylum if she agrees to marry him.
Queen Narissa: So this is the forest rat who thinks she can claim my throne... NEVER!!!
- Joseph Lemaitre's French: How to Speak and Write It uses this trope in a comic illustration to make the introduction of the word "never" more memorable:
- In Seinfeld, Kramer has a jacket which used to belong to his mother's ex-boyfriend, and is refusing to give it back to him. Later, the boyfriend turns up pounding at Jerry's door demanding the jacket. Kramer responds with an over-dramatic "Never!"
- An episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine has a following dialogue:
Sisko: What can you do?
- Done repeatedly and with...erm, gusto...in the ending of "Day Sixteen: Loser" by Ayreon.
- In Kiss Me Kate, Kate has a wild coloratura cadenza in the first-act finale whose words are "Never!" repeated nineteen times.
- In The Musical On the 20th Century, Lily has an entire song called "Never" (about how she won't go back to her controlling ex-lover), which culminates in a shouted "Never!".
- In The Lion King stage musical, Nala typically responds to Scar's propositioning with: "Never, Scar. NEVER."
Extra: "Will someone shut that man up?!"
- Mortal Kombat
- Scorpion does this in his ending from Mortal Kombat 4 when he drags Quan Chi back to the Netherrealm with him, right after Quan Chi reveals that he killed Scorpion's family and clan to set him up against Sub-Zero. Leads to a Big No from Quan Chi.
- Jarek also said the same when Sonya was trying to re-capture him after their Enemy Mine deal is over. He ends up falling to his death until it's confirmed in Armageddon that he narrowly survived the fall.
- Bum Reviews
- Episode 24 of Naruto the Abridged Series, in response to being asked to turn some Heavy Metal music down.
- American Dad
- Hayley about being told to drop being angry about Bush.
- In the episode Stannie Get Your Gun, the mascot upon learning that he is fired and will have to relinquish his costume. A beautifully rendered "NEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEER!" coupled with a fantastic dive through a plate glass window.
- Futurama had a few.
- This exchange from Bender's Big Score
Nudar: So what'll it be, unconditional surrender -
- From "The Day the Earth Stood Stupid":
Zoidberg: Forgive me, my friend!
- The Simpsons
- Spoofed in a scene where Homer is asked to do something that is only reasonable and not a big deal and then snaps "Never!".
Bart: As long as you're doing things for me, would you tie up your bath robe when you walk around the house?
- In a play done by the characters involves George Washington (played by Ralph Wiggum) responding to Lisa's character's "couldn't we just give in to the British?" question with a big "NEVER!"
- The dialogue of the first few minutes of the first Fairly Oddparents movie Abra-Catastrophe goes more or less like this:
Disguised Cosmo or Wanda: Tell me your secret, Timmy!
- Seen in the original Adventure Time pilot. Pen (later Finn) shouts this while freeing himself from the Ice King's ice.
Abraham Lincoln: You need to believe in yourself!.
- And the time the keeper of "The Enchiridion!" tried to make Finn slay an unaligned ant.
- Speaking of the "The Enchiridion!"...
Finn: NEVERRRR!!!!!! (runs and kicks the Key-per in the nuts)
- Rocko's Modern Life, "I Have No Son": Ralph Bighead says "NEVER!!!", several times, VERY loudly, at the prospect of seeing his parents again.
- Dan Vs.. "Baseball":
Dan's arm is on fire
- Happens once in Danny Phantom.
"Now will you be my frieeeeend?"
- Optimus Prime delivers a defiant "NEVER!" to Megatron in Transformers: The Movie in response to him saying "It's over, Prime!" before smacking him right in the face.
- During the climax of Dexter's Laboratory: Ego Trip, when present Dexter asks for the MacGuffin back, Future Mandark replies with "NEVEERRR!".
- unless it did espresso
- It doesn't make sense in context either.