If [Crash Holly defended the Hardcore Championship] 24/7, I'm gonna do it 48/14, and how I about I start with you? How about, I could start with you, right here, right now? It doesn't matter to me, Michael Cole, 'cause I will break your ass in half, you little shithead!
—Wrestlemania 2000 post-match interview
Bob "Hardcore" Holly (born January 29, 1963) is an American professional wrestler, whose tenure with WWE lasted from 1991 to 2008. After progressing through several gimmick changes, from NASCAR racer Thurman "Sparky" Plugg to a nondescript member of the tongue-in-cheek J.O.B. Squad, Holly earned his nickname of "Hardcore" as a participant of numerous grueling hardcore matches during the Attitude Era of the late '90s, being one of the relatively few holders of the Hardcore Championship to boast respectable, lengthy title reigns.
Tropes associated with Bob Holly:
- A Day in the Limelight: His 2003/2004 main event feud with Brock Lesnar was his biggest ever push.
- Armor-Piercing Slap: Delivered one to Cody Rhodes during their feud, to "bring out the fire" in the rookie.
- Arch Enemy: In kayfabe, Lesnar is the closest thing to be found. In real life, he has threatened Mr. Kennedy on his life.
- Catch Phrase: "I'm the Big Shot." Though it didn't really catch on...
- Determinator: Sustained severe injuries in several matches, and finished them; possibly the most notable such occurrence being his table match against Rob Van Dam in 2006, in which he sustained a huge gash on his back after a botched table landing. This is often described as one of the few moments of the "new" ECW that lived up to that promotion's legacy.
- On another level, thought the veracity of said claim is easily dispute since it was WWE.com that reported it, at various points during injury recovery, Holly is said to have refused taking painkillers.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: To some degree. After being turned face due to favorable crowd reactions after the aforementioned table match, he turned on RVD from out of nowhere in a tag match, with absolutely no buildup.
- Cool Car: His NASCAR racing car from the Sparky Plugg days.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: His role in the second season of WWE Tough Enough.
- Dyeing for Your Art / Dye Hard: Bob is a natural brunette.
- Fan Nickname: "Bobcore Holly" until he proved he really is hardcore; "Baldcore Holly", thanks to Chris Jericho.
- Finishing Move: The Alabama Slam (). To a lesser extent, the Falcon Arrow (). Of course, in his heyday, the finishing move would more likely be innovative usage of foreign objects.
- Game-Breaking Injury: Defied with a vengeance! Aside from the aforementioned Determinator moment, he has survived at least one illness (a staph infection) that could have killed him.
- He's Back: His 2003 return from a neck injury, during which he ran roughshod over several superstars, Stone Cold-style, notably choking out The Big Show with a chair.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: With Billy Gunn, at various points. Hilarious, considering Gunn's one-time gimmick.
- Jobber: When a part of the J.O.B. Squad, as well as his Sparky Plugg days.
- Kangaroo Court: Was part of the infamous "Wrestlers' Court" described on the page.
- Garbage Wrestler: They don't call him "Hardcore" for nothin'.
- Groin Attack: The move, whose name varies intensely, wherein he hangs an opponent on the ropes and delivers a kick to their "groin" (really their midsection).
- Knight Templar: His backstage reputation and conduct against rookies have large shades of this.
- Improbable Weapon User: Oh boy. He won his Wrestlemania 2000 match by busting open Crash's skull with a cookie jar (though this is reputed to be a botched ending to the match), and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
- It's Personal: His 2003/2004 feud with Lesnar over the latter having broken his neck.
- Won't Work On Me: Had a reputation for being extremely selective about whose moves he sells, particularly where rookies are involved. Infamously, this resulted in Lesnar breaking Holly's neck as a result of a botched powerbomb that Holly intentionally "sandbagged" to spite Lesnar.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: His feud with Lesnar. After all, he legitimately broke his neck.
- Real Men Wear Pink: His wrestling attire, as "Sparky" Plugg and Hardcore alike, often bore... unlikely color combinations.
- Red Baron: "Hardcore". Also, "Hollywood" and "The Big Shot".
- Straight Edge: Is apparently this regarding junk food, both in and out of character. One storyline with Simon Dean had him forced to eat a burger and fries, which he abhorred completely.
- Tag Team: Part of three title-winning teams with 1-2-3 Kid, Crash Holly, and Cody Rhodes.
- Too Dumb to Live: An almost literal case. Holly, who had a reputation for sandbagging rookies' moves, decided it would be a good idea to sandbag a powerbomb by Lesnar. The result? Lesnar, being the physical powerhouse he is, lifted him up anyway and dropped him right on his neck, breaking it and putting Holly on the shelf for thirteen months. Fortunately, the locker-room learned the moral of the story: Don't fuck with Brock Lesnar. This is quite possibly the only time a wrestler has managed to get fans to react to a broken neck with "he deserved it."
- Unrelated Brothers: Unrelated cousin of the late Crash Holly (and later, Molly Holly), with whom he even held the Tag Team Championship. Humorously, at one point the team's gimmick was to introduce themselves as "super-heavyweights" despite obviously not being so.
- Wrestling Doesn't Pay: All throughout his career, he maintained a secondary job as a race car driver.
- Double leg slam
- Sitout suplex slam
- resisting an opponents slam or related power move, either do to inexperience or just being a jackass