|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
(For other uses of the term "Bug", click here)
Bug is a gag-per-day humorous webcomic written by Adam Huber, started on October 19, 2009. Bug features caricatures of cockroaches as its characters and uses those character to poke fun at a wide array of subjects. The comic touches on a wide variety of comedic material, with little pattern as to what Huber will lampoon. The comics themselves rarely have a set punchline, often instead having a joke in each panel, thus providing multiple laughs per strip. (See "Pizza Delivery" for a good example).
Update: Every weekday at midnight sharp.
Tropes used by this webcomic:
- Zero-Percent Approval Rating: This comic gives that page its picture.
- AI Is a Crapshoot:
- All Men Are Perverts / All Women Are Lustful: When it comes to space travel, all anyone cares about is whether the astronauts have sex in space.
- Amnesia Danger: Subverted.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
You look just like my ex-girlfriend, except you're fatter and not as pretty.
- Also the magazines bug receives subscription offers for after he kills someone.
No, I do NOT want to subscribe to "Murderer Monthly", "Killin' Quarterly", or "Maxim".
- Art Evolution: Bugs became noticeably thinner, and their eyes are now much more expressive and less like blank white dots. The Bug makes a comparison.
- Batman Gambit: A young bug used to instigate his friends into risky behavior so he could live vicariously through them.
- Black Comedy: Done oh so well here and here.
- Blatant Lies: Skipping isn't gay.
- Blessed with Suck: "A time machine is the worst gift you could receive."
- Brain Bleach: "Hm... maybe I can destroy this memory by drinking turpentine."
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick:
- Thing's the bug would like to do before he dies: use a pun while beating up a bad guy, be a contestant of Jeopardy and give immature answers, and visit/attack France.
- When considering the consequences of killing someone, the bug considers the obvious worst one last.
- Buried Alive: A sign you may be getting older. (A rare case where it's Played for Laughs.)
- Cassandra Truth: "Son, there's no such thing as zombies..."
- Child-Hater: Bug seems to be one, though he may be just brutally honest. Of course, he is more than willing to trade a child for a working web server.
- Cool Chair: The lack of one is the reason the bug could never be a super villain.
- Cursed with Awesome:
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Many are displayed in Discontinued Methods of Execution.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Bug loves this trope.
- Dress Code: Variations on casual friday.
- Driven to Suicide: By his website going down.
- Emo Teen: Even worse when they become a zombie.
- Enhance Button: Lampshaded here.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: Invoked here.
- Extreme Omni Goat: Though the goat doesn't eat anything, goats' propensity for eating anything is used in this comic.
- "Falling in Love" Montage: Deconstructed.
- Fan Hater: In-Universe example. The bug's Grinch persona is one.
- Five Stages of Grief: Inverted in "The Five Stages of Joy".
- Fridge Horror: "Birthdays just celebrate the fact that you're not dead yet."
- Genghis Gambit: What the UN should be doing.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: Want vs. need.
- Good Flaws, Bad Flaws: Is it possible to have indifferent flaws?
- Gratuitous French: Au contraire!
- Growing Up Sucks:
- Subverted; adulthood isn't all that different from childhood.
- Yet played straight in "How to become an adult in three easy steps".
- Guns Akimbo: Invoked here.
"Ack! What amazing peripheral vision!"
- Hulk Speak: A prominent feature in Zombie Week.
- Humble Hero: "You didn't buy any condoms?" "I didn't want to appear presumptuous."
- Hypocritical Humor
Man in a wheelchair: "Move it, cripple."
- I Got a Rock: A newborn, a detonator, or a pencil; take your pick
- I Just Want to Be Special: The probable reason people who receive just the right amount of tanning are never happy with their tan.
- I Want My Jetpack: Justifiably subverted.
- Insistent Terminology: "We prefer to be called: "criminally challenged."
- Incredibly Lame Pun: "Surfs up, pal!"
- Insurmountable Waist-Height Fence: "I can go no further."
- It's a Wonderful Plot: One of the bug's irrational fears.
- Jerkass: Reconstructed.
- Jumping on a Grenade: A proof of love, as long as it's not you doing it.
- Jumping the Shark: In-Universe. Signs your life has jumped the shark...
- Jurisdiction Friction: Played for laughs.
- Kill It with Fire: Sacre bleu!
- Last Stand: Deconstructed.
- Like Brother and Sister: Turns out guys don't like hearing that.
- Like You Were Dying: Examined
- Logic Bomb: Turns out a logic bomb won't save you during a robot apocalypse.
- Love Martyr: Deconstructed.
- Made of Explodium: One action movie cliché the author could do without.
- Medium Awareness:
- "The narrator is really souring me to this experience."
- "I really wish I could give you my kidney." "No you don't. Dude, I can read your narration up there."
- Meta Guy: "Whose talking goat is this?"
- Metaphor Is My Middle Name: "My middle name is "cautionary discretion".
- Murder-Suicide: Played for laughs when the bug exacts revenge on his web server by doing this.
- Mutants: Deconstructed.
- Never Live It Down: In-universe example.
- Never Speak Ill of the Dead: Discussed; the bug thinks it's time we start speaking ill of the dead.
- No Accounting for Taste: The "Beyond Thunderdome" type of relationship.
- On One Condition: Deconstructed.
- Our Zombies Are Different:
- Percussive Maintenance: *tap tap* "There. That do anything on your end?" "No."
- Prayer of Malice: This comic is supposedly a message from God, asking people to stop doing this.
- Press-Ganged: This comic discusses reasons not to worry about it.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: Not used as frequently in the earlier comics, but the later comics tend to feature a joke in each panel.
- Red Baron: Subverted.
My middle name is "danger"!
- Refuge in Vulgarity: "Hey, check it out. 7 girls 5 cups."
- Rousing Speech: Kinda.
- Rule of Three: The latter comics tend to have one panel of set-up, followed by three more panels, each with a mini joke within them. "Random Thoughts" is a good example of this trope in action.
- Sadist Teacher: "I hate happiness." She gets her comeuppance, though.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong:
- Silly Rabbit, Romance Is for Kids: The bug believes in this trope.
- Sitting Sexy on a Piano: Spoofed in "Piano Lesson".
- Slapstick: Examined; the more you know the victim, the funnier it is.
- Smoke Out: One way to end a relationship.
- Stock Aesops: The reason the bug could never exist in a television show with corny platitudes.
- Subverted Kids Book: Children's books for children you don't like...
- Take Over the World: Deconstructed.
- Take That: The bug seams to really dislike Michael Bay.
- Thanks for the Mammary: "Must you hold my breasts when we talk?" "Must you tempt me with your grabbable boobs?"
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill:
"What are you drawing, my son?"
"Funky don't lay low... nor does Funky speak in first person."
- Unflinching Walk: Another action movie cliché the author could do without.
- Uranus Is Showing: "I claim this planet for Urunas." "ugh... hehe, anus..."
- Wacky Marriage Proposal: Less popular methods of proposing marriage...
- What Does She See in Him?: Deconstructed.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: The reason we need the stupid baby name police.
- Zombie Gait: "Quick! Everyone saunter away!"