|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Kanade Sakurai has a crush on Yukino, her fraternal twin sister. Yukino appears to be well aware of the fact, but seems to play it off for laughs--although she likes to tease Kanade a bit too much for comfort. Then, there is Sakuya Kamiyama, an underclassman of the two, who harbors a crush on Kanade herself. Stuff happens to them.
Candy Boy started off as a gimmick one shot ONA but the notion proved so popular that more episodes have been produced. This caused some confusion with episode numbering: the first episode (the original ONA) is usually not counted, with the technically second one designated as "episode 01", etc. For simplicity's sake, think of the original ONA as "episode 00". Still, there is also a prequel, called "EX01"--and then there are the various music videos, made from scenes of the original series. Sadly the show proved Too Good to Last and ended after the DVD special (EX02). However, the story has continued in a manga, though it's more of an Alternate Continuity.
- Alternate Continuity: The manga, in which Kanade and Shizuku's relation is significantly more positive than in the anime. Moreover, the manga introduces several new characters: Yurippe, Isako, Masumi, and Eri, who does not appear in the anime.
- Animated Music Video: The first episode was originally a prolonged video for the song "Candy Boy" by Meilin.
- Anime First
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Shizuku Sakurai appears this way but there is a reason behind her "annoying" behavior that makes her more sympathetic.
- Artifact Title
- Baby Talk: Kanade when she's embarrassed and apologizing.
- Big Eater: Yukino has a sweet tooth, which Sakuya abuses to bribe her.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Shizuku comments that Yukino is naturally suited to the boke role.
- In the Manga, Kanade forms this routine with Yurippe; Kanade is the boke, and Yurippe is the Tsukkomi.
- Butt Monkey: Sakuya, who gets mistreated by most anybody, despite being generally very nice to everyone herself.
- Chekhov's Gun: A coupon for a free parfait.
- Deadpan Snarker: Kanade--most of the time, probably in an attempt to keep her cool in front of Yukino.
- The Ditz: Yukino, although it's kept within realistic limits.
- Kinda subverted: while she appears like that at first (since she tends to enjoy life as it comes without sweating the "little details"), she's actually the most level-headed of the four characters.
- Erotic Eating: Fingers. There was cake. Plus the rice-off-the-mouth kiss in episode 7.
- Fan Girl: Sakuya is Kanade's In-Universe personal fangirl... not that the latter is particularly happy about it.
- Fan Service: Surprisingly averted, given the show's content. Even the swimming pool episode is rather subdued, much to Sakuya's dismay.
- Finger-Suck Healing: Done by Yukino to Kanade at the end of chapter two in the Manga.
- Gayngst: Averted. Yukino, Kanade, Sakuya, and arguably Shizuku have no problem with liking girls. Their friends don't seem to mind same sex relationships either.
- Genki Girl: Sakuya
- Genre Savvy: Sakuya is too savvy for her own good.
- Homoerotic Dream
- Hopeless Suitor: Sakuya, who just won't give up on Kanade.
- Hot Springs Episode, subverted: Although Sakuya expects there to be one, there really ain't.
- Fundamentally Female Cast: No male characters in sight of any relative importance, though a few can be seen at the train station.
- Innocent Cohabitation: They're twins. 'Nuff said.
- Intertwined Fingers: Kanade and Yukino love to hold hands that way.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Shizuku does not want to get between Yukino and Kanade. Or does she?
- Lucky Charms Title: Candy☆Boy.
- Luminescent Blush: Almost everyone at almost all times.
- Meganekko: Kanade. No, really.
- Nosebleed: Sakuya, while fantasizing about an onsen bath visit with Kanade.
- Not What It Looks Like: Would you believe it?
- Odd Couple: Despite being sisters, Yukino and Kanade have quite different personalities. For one, Kanade is much more serious and often gets irritated by her sister's ditziness, so it's amazing they get along so well.
- Official Couple: Guess who. Isn't it sad you were Demoted to Extra, Sakuya?
- The Ojou: Sakuya's family is much, much richer than the Sakurais.
- Petting Zoo People: Yukino appears as a kitsunekko in Kanade's dream.
- Pool Scene: Episode EX02
- Quivering Eyes: Sakuya and Yukino both have a tendency to do this.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: For all the yuri vibe the makers obviously strive for, the relationship between Kanade en Yukino still comes closest to this kind--although it's nevertheless a bit unusual among sisters.
- Rubber Face: Kanade does this to Yukino a lot.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Sakuya is open and vocal about her crush on Kanade.
- Slice of Life
- Stalker with a Crush: Sakuya.
- Also Kanade. Yukino calls her out on it in EX02 where it's revealed Kanade came to watch Yukino swim five times in one week.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: As well as humorous, the note on Kanade and Yukino's door, if read by a passerby, would seem rather suspicious. Subverted since they really aren't doing anything explicit in their room.
Note on the door: Seriously, why won't anyone knock on the door? Really. It's not that we're doing anything suspicious, but it's common sense to knock on the door. Yes, we may be a damn shameless couple, but we aren't doing anything! There isn't much else I want to say about this, but let me say it again: KNOCK DAMNIT!!
- Sweet Tooth: Yukino loves sweets... and gets constantly scolded by Kanade.
- Together Umbrella: The whole plot of one episode involves Kanade trying to arrange for her and Yukino to walk home under one umbrella.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Kanade is more tomboyish and Yukino more the girly one, though it's in mannerisms rather than appearance.
- Tsundere: Kanade towards Yukino; a relatively mild example.
- Shizuku depending on how you view her. She does have a tsuntsun side towards everyone except for Yukino, the sole recipient of her deredere side. However while unclear, it is hinted at that Shizuku likes Kanade and acts tsuntsun towards Kanade out of jealousy.
- Twincest: Nothing explicit but a LOT implied.
- Two-Teacher School
- Which is to be expected in a four-character anime.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: Sakuya.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Yukino.