|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Countin' flowers on the wall
—The Statler Brothers, "Flowers on the Wall"
Bob Keeshan was the creator and host of this children's series, which ran weekday mornings on CBS from 1954 to 1984. The name "Captain Kangaroo" came from the large pockets in Keeshan's signature red jacket. After the show left CBS, it ran until 1990 on PBS.
Keeshan's supporting cast included Dennis the painter, played by Cosmo Allegretti, and Mr. Green Jeans, a farmer played by Hugh "Lumpy" Brannum. Allegretti also operated the puppets Mr. Moose and Bunny Rabbit. Other recurring characters included the Town Clown, the Dancing Bear and Fred from Channel One. The show also had animated segments, including Tom Terrific and Lariat Sam from Terry Toons, Crystal Tipps and Alistair from The BBC, and CB Bears from Hanna-Barbera.
A syndicated revival of Captain Kangaroo was attempted in 1997, with bearded actor John McDonough in a blue jacket.
- Animated Credits Opening: With the "Good Morning, Captain" theme song, 1974-84.
- Crossover: The Captain appeared on Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, and Mr. Rogers appeared on the Captain's show.
- Long Runners
- Portal Picture: Simon in the Land of Chalk Drawings, a series of British animated shorts featured on the show in the '70s.
- Running Gag: Mr. Moose and the ping pong balls; Bunny Rabbit getting the carrots.
- The Smurfette Principle: Deborah Weems as "Debbie".
- The Speechless: Bunny Rabbit, Dancing Bear.
This page needs more trope entries. You can help this wiki by adding more entries or expanding current ones.