|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Starting out as Celestial Eruption back in 2006 on Invisionfree, Celestial Refresh is a statistical Play By Post Game centering around characters and settings from various video games, anime, and a few other odd sources being ripped from their homeland and thrown into a new universe, simply called The Multiverse. Many don't take this very well at first, however, over time, characters learn to adjust to their new homes and neighbors, and veterans are generally unfazed by the zanier parts of both magic and technology, regardless of their native home's surroundings. Despite it's dips into rather depressing situations, it does have it's sillier and more lighthearted moments.
Story/In character tropes
- Aborted Arc: Common. Some, like the God Wars and Judges Arcs, were cancelled/ended early due to dissatisfaction with the progression or annoyance with powerful NPCs forcing unwanted participation. Others, such as Savage Tide, ended due to the primary storyteller going on hiatus or quitting.
- Aerith and Bob: Justified, since the multiverse is the biggest melting pot in existence.
- Anachronism Stew: What happens when you put Hyrule and Station Square within space- or magic-traveling distance of each other
- Alternate Universe: Explains a few discrepancies between characters and their original counterparts.
- Apocalypse How: A few times, but generally Class 0 or Class 1
- Arc Fatigue: Most recently, the Zombie Apocalypse arc, which had been going on for roughly a year and a half. A lot of people were past just getting sick of it when it finally ended.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Leaders of factions are usually pretty strong.
- Bland-Name Product: Flitter!
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: The last battle in the Zombie Apocalypse arc takes place on the forum proper, with the opponents being photobucket pictures and zombified versions of certain Cbox personalities.
- Deadpool obviously.
- Crap Saccharine World: Many people that were pure and innocent have been turned jaded, and many places like the Mushroom and BeanBean Kingdoms have been overrun by Insanity and Demons, respectively.
- Dark World: Natch.
- Darkest Hour: NO is certainly going through one, with the destruction of their main HQ and the death of their leader, Sparrow.
- Death Is Cheap: The penalty for death is spending two weeks in a Diablo-based Netherrealm. And some of the areas in it are actually quite nice and peaceful.
- Death Mountain: Natch.
- Even Evil Has Standards: An inevitability, with the alignment system.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: Kefka's Tower before it was dismantled.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink
- Floating Continent: Angel Island
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Most everyone starts out this way.
- Foe Yay: SA-X and Metal Sonic, Luxord and Florina, Ganondorf and Zelda...this trope is all over the place.
- Green Hill Zone: Yep.
- Improbable Weapon User: Shadow the Hedgehog attacked people with a door at one point.
- Michael Wilson once threw Amaterasu at an enemy.
Michael: "SUCK ON MY...WOLF PUNCH!"
- Inevitable Tournament: Some story arcs start with this.
- Killed Off for Real: Sparrow was recently killed during the assault on the NO HQ, and his player specifically stated that it counted as this.
- Knight of Cerebus: Several: The Crawler is a good example, as he was deliberately taken to kill some characters.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Granted, many of them switch in and out of the story alot due to the users playing the characters getting bored and getting newer ones. Leads to a lot of confusion out of character, since most people are referred to by their main accounts.
Dag: ARGH, CAN'T KEEP TRACK.
- Mental World: The Collective Unconscious.
- Multiverse Of Badass: Even the Token Mini-Moe is a force to be reckoned with.
- Multiverse Of Weirdos: No matter what one may look like, they are not the strangest thing the multiverse has to offer.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant: The Crawler and Reala.
- Not as You Know Them: Several characters, often due to character development.
- Ominous Floating Castle: Tempest Keep
- Restart At Level One: All characters suffer this upon entering the Multiverse.
"[The Multiversal Drain] takes away all of [a character's] power, but removes any limitations, turning everyone into an over the top One Piece character."
- Schizo-Tech: Flintlocks and assault rifles and Humongous Mecha, oh my!
- The Chosen Ones: The Savage Tide arc has Tails, the Ardent of Air, Lute, the Forger of Flames, Mia, the Warden of Water, and Mouse, the Envoy of Earth, as chosen guardians of Elemental Crystals. Mouse has already fallen, however. As has Mia as far as anyone knows.
- Hub Level: The Moon serves as this, more specifically, the Tower of Twilight.
- The Lost Woods: Yeah...
- The Multiverse
- The Tower: The Tower of Twilight, which serves as the cultural capital of the entire multiverse.
- Topic Welding: The site as a whole generally does this a lot, due to its...convenient time-line.
- Wham! Episode: Alan attacking the NO HQ, specifically targeting three of its big name members (all of whom he had been on amiable terms with previously) in order to create a name for his own new faction, killing Sparrow in the process.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Several characters, sometimes lampshaded by characters not used to strange hair colors.
Meta/Out of Character tropes
- Berserk Button: Do not get your greek mythology wrong in front of Ledah.
- "WHY THE F*** ARE WE HAVING A FLAME WAR OVER DEAD RELIGIONS!"
- Bile Fascination: The sole reason the "Lizardman" and "Furry Handjob" quests are archived for people to read, as far as the memberbase is concerned. Well that and to torture members.
- Brother-Sister Incest: "I don't live with my hot sister anymore."
- Result of Got Me Doing It
- And by "it" he means his sister.
- Result of Got Me Doing It
- Butt Monkey: Dag and Silver. Especially Dag.
Silver: How come she gets the cool big sis act from you when all I get from you was a drop in self-esteem and castration?
- Corner of Woe: Most people on the site have at least one phrase that will leave them crying in the corner.
- "Here kitty, kitty."
- COAGULATE! DISSOLVE!
- Crossover Ship: Given the nature of the site, these are common.
- Deadpan Snarker: Several people. Ammy and Maz are the most vocal, though.
- Eldritch Abomination: The Cbox. Nuff said.
- He even has an Eldritch name, Ulyaoth.
- Also Floagula
- He even has an Eldritch name, Ulyaoth.
- Fan Nickname: Nearly every cbox regular has one.
- Hurricane of Puns
- Memetic Molester: Oh god, where do we start.
- Memetic Mutation: YOU GOTTA EARN IT, THE HARD WAY.
- Act surprixed and get hit, k?
- WILL WILL WILL HOPE HOPE
- Rape is not funny. Rmpe is hilarious.
- BLAZE DID YOU SEE?
- SPLASH NEEDLE!
- CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE! CHARLOTTE!
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: In-universe case: numerous system changes caused a failed revolt from a select few of the older members.
- Also could be considered a case of Ruined FOREVER.
- Wiki Rule: Here.
- Annoying Arrows/Arbitrary Gun Power: Somewhat justified with the Multiversal Drain affecting the deadliness of most weapons.
- Character Alignment: In-universe example for general placement. Uses a number system instead of the usual format. Ranges from +5 (Incorruptible Pure Pureness) to -5 (Complete Monster)
- Character Level: Ranks
- Critical Existence Failure: Although played straight statistic wise, it's usually good manners to subvert this trope in character.
- Damage Typing: Attacks can be Melee, Ranged, Ballistic, or Spell based.
- Fight in The Nude: Occasionally subverted, on the player's fancy. Luckily no one ACTUALLY fights in the nude. ..yet.
- Fire Cold Lightning: Makes their rounds, along with several other elements, such as Dark, Mental, Bio, Energy, Slashing...
- Game Master: Moderators usually fall into this role, but some quests, called Personal Quests, don't require any Mods.
- Guns Are Worthless: A bullet will deal just as much as a knife or an axe or a fist for the exact same energy point cost.
- Hit Points
- In and Out of Character
- Karl Marx Hates Your Guts
- Loads and Loads of Rules: A little more than your standard RP, but justified due to the complex stat system, and is nowhere near as bad as a Tabletop Game.
- YMMV on if it's as bad as a Table Top RPG. Most table top RPGs run quickly after you figure out the single core mechanic. CRRP doesn't have a singular core mechanic.
- Mana: Labeled as Energy Points, and can be used for anything from magic spells to martial arts skills to aiming for different body parts.
- Money Spider: Sometimes, although occasionally subverted.
- Multiversal Spaceship
- One Size Fits All: Equipment bought for one character will easily fit another.
- Play By Post Game
- Point Buy System/Tech Points: You can use Improvement Points to buy new attacks, or improve attack damage, or increase your vitals
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: Monsters in quests do not have to abide by the same rules that the PCs do.
- Questing Time: With the occasional Lampshade Hanging for good measure.
- Standard Status Effect: Many make their rounds under different names
- Universal Wound
- Wallet of Holding Considering there isn't a single universal currency (Most collectively call it "c"), most people are carrying several different kinds, from paper to jewels to coins...