|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
This series provides examples of:
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The first season has "In Silence" as the theme song for the Japanese version.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Geiger
- Code Silver: A patient's brother demands a donor heart at gunpoint.
- Crossover: With Early Edition (characters from Chicago Hope appearing in an episode of Early Edition) and Picket Fences (in both directions).
- Dropped a Bridget On Him: One of the doctors, a very manly hockey player, starts dating Mia Sara. When she informs that she has something to tell him, he says that he already knows... that she has fake boobs and he's fine with it, she informs him that she actually used to be his best friend and hockey teammate in high school.
- Dueling Shows: Started out going head-to-head with ER.
- Happily Married: Billy and Diane
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Geiger and Shutt
- The Mad Hatter: Dr. Geiger, justifying his own God-complex to a review board, explains that because he thinks he's God, he never gets distracted by self-doubt.
"Who's kiddin' who? Personally, I'm a mess. Should you let your sister marry me? Not a chance. But if her heart stops, you want her on my table."
- Medical Drama
- Musical Episode: In the fourth-season episode "Brain Salad Surgery", Dr. Aaron Shutt suffered a brain aneurysm that caused him to hallucinate the rest of the hospital staff singing and dancing.
- Orphaned Punchline:
(elevator doors open)
- Parody Episode: When the doctors of Chicago Hope get blamed for the death of a famous actor, the episode is shown as an Entertainnment Tonight exclusive.
- Shout-Out: Dr. Kathryn Austin was a recipient of the Cushing Left Anterior Descending Artery Award, previously featured in St Elsewhere.
- Someone to Remember Him By: Played with. A woman suffers a miscarriage and her husband dies of a heart attack on the same day. She convinces the doctors to artificially inseminate her with her husband's sperm before they too die off and she successfully becomes pregnant.