|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
On one fateful day, five children from Earth were kidnapped and sent to the far reaches of space. Twenty years later...
Chōshinsei Flashman (Supernova Flashman) is the tenth Super Sentai show, airing from 1986 to 1987.
Twenty years ago, the Reconstructive Experiment Empire Mess authorized the abduction of five kids for the purposes of their experiments. The benevolent beings from the Flash Galaxy saved the kids, and took each of them to a different planet of their solar system. With the abilities they gained from the training on these planets, the now-grown kids return to Earth to fight the Mess as the Flashmen. There's just one problem: since they've been away from Earth for so long, the planet's atmosphere has become deadly to them, so they can only stay for a year; otherwise, they die of the Anti-Flash Phenomenon.
The Flashmen are:
- Jin (Red Flash): The Smart Hero.
- Dai (Green Flash): The Big Lancer.
- Bun (Blue Flash): The Kid Appeal Smart Guy.
- Sara (Yellow Flash): The Smart Chick, who possesses a sharp, analytical mind for exposing enemy weakness.
- Lou (Pink Flash): The Big Heart, who possesses the best leaping skills of the team.
The members of Mess consist of:
- Great Emperor Ra Deus : The Big Bad
- Lee Keflen: The Evil Genius, Monster Maker and Ra Deus' right-hand man.
- Ley Wandar: The Zebra-Striped Dragon
- Ley Nefel: The leopard-like Dark Action Chick
- Wolk and Kilt: Those Two Bad Guys and Dark Action Girls
- Ley Galus: The Brute
- Kuragen: A squid monster summoned to bring the monsters up to size.
- The Alien Hunters: The Quirky Miniboss Squad, led by the quite-competent Sir Cowler. They were the ones who abducted the Flashman team when they were infants.
- Zolors: The insectoid Mooks.
Recurring Super Sentai tropes:
- All Your Colors Combined: The Rolling Vulcan.
- By the Power of Grayskull: "Prism Flash!". 
- Calling Your Attacks
- Color Coded for Your Convenience: The codenames use each member's color as a head word and the team's prefix ("Flash") as the tail word, instead of the other way around.
- Cool Airship: The Star Condor
- Cool Bike: The Flash Hawk bikes, one for each member.
- Five-Man Band: There are three Smart Guys  and two Big Guys  on the team.
- Home Base: The Round Base, a large building that can go into space.
- Humongous Mecha: The first Sentai team to have a second giant robot. The first robot was the usual combining mech, while second was of the transforming kind.
- Law of Chromatic Superiority: Nastily subverted once the Anti-Flash Phenomenom causes the Flashmen to temporarily lose their powers; Jin is the first to go.
- Make My Monster Grow: Kuragen's reason for living. Interestingly, it's a strange variety of Liquid Assets. It's like there's only so much "big" to go around, so ginormous scary-looking Kragen appears, makes the monster big... and then shrinks down to the size of a gerbil and has to scurry away from the battlefield as fast as his little tentacles can carry him. It's hilarious.
- Monster of the Week: The Jūsenshi or Beast Warriors, creatures created by Lee Keflen's genetic synthesizer from the genes of Earth's animals (the final series of monsters were created by combining the genes of Ra Deus himself with those of his underlings).
- Mooks: The insectoid Zolors, complete with acid webbing.
- The Movie: Two, although the second was a Compilation Movie of Titan Boy's intro arc (ep. 15-18).
- "On the Next Episode of..." Catchphrase: "Prism Flash! Chōshinsei Flashman!"
- Regular Caller:
- Robot Buddy: Mag.
- Supervillain Lair: Reconstructive Experiment Base Labor, a sort-of flying saucer.
- Theme Music Power-Up:
- Transformation Trinket: See By the Power of Grayskull
- Transformation Name Announcement
- Two Girls to a Team: The third Sentai team with two girls and the second with a Yellow and Pink duo.
- Weapon of Choice
Tropes specific to Choushinsei Flashman:
- Bizarre Alien Biology: Their years on the Flash planets have altered the Flashmen's genetic makeup, giving them superpowers but making it impossible for them to stay on Earth for more than a year.
- Bittersweet Ending: Sara finds her real family, she and the other Flashmen destroy the bad guys, but they have to leave the Earth for the sake of their lives.
- It was never stated that they couldn't return after recovering for a year or two though. Thus making it not quite as bad. However it is still the one of the only two sentai so far to not end on an overly happy note. The other being Timeranger which is probably worse.
- Competitive Balance
- Dub Name Change: Dai is called "Dan" and Bun is called "Go" in Brazil.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Anti-Flash Phenomenon. To wit: You touch fellow humans? You get electrocuted. You touch flowers? The flowers gas you. You try to drink? The water chokes you. You stand around in the open? The sun burns you.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Every single member of the Flashmen.
- Heel Face Turn: Baraki used to work for Mess, until his life was saved by Titan the Hero.
- Homage: The interior of Round Base looks an awful lot like the TARDIS, down to the hexagonal console.
- Lego Genetics: This is how the Mess creates their monsters.
- Meaningful Name: Ra Deus. With a name like that, do you think he considers himself a god?
- The name "Tokimura" means "time village". Dr. Tokimura is a time machine inventor.
- Mid-Season Upgrade: The Flashmen's power source is given a boost when they are weakened by the Anti-Flash Phenomenon. In the finale, new monsters are created with help from Ra Deus's DNA.
- Name's the Same: Choushinsei Flashman has nothing to do with either George MacDonald Fraser's series of novels or the Robot Master.
- Only One Name: The first Sentai to have its members lack surnames, though we find that Sara's last name is Tokimura.
- Precursor Hero: the Hero Titan, the one who the Flash Aliens based the Flashman technology on.
- The Speechless: Ley Galus and the other monsters can only growl.
- Stock Super Powers
- Taking You with Me: The Flash King is crippled when one of a pair of monsters blew up on it after being dealt the death blow; this necessitated the need to get Great Titan. It does get better a few episodes later.
- Time Stop: Ley Wanda later gains this ability.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Lou and Sara.
- Touched by Vorlons
- The Voiceless: The Alien Hunters, with the obvious exception of Sir Cowler.
- We Can Rule Together: Invoked by Lee Keflen at the very last episode to the Flashmen. To much to everyone's surprise, it's Sara who's the first to call shenanigans on it.