|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"George is a monkey, and he does things we can't do."
—the PBS Kids show
Curious George is a series of books and a TV spin-off, plus a movie, based on the character by Margret and H.A. Rey. George is a monkey who is found overseas in Africa by "The Man With the Yellow Hat," a father-figure who takes the monkey home with him to his apartment in the city. Hilarity Ensues when the monkey is treated like a human child, rather than a pet. The books and series are marketed to the preschooler/early reader group and attempt to give children an early grasp on patterns and other bits of necessary information about life.
The original books
There have also been a number of pastiche works, most of them out of print for years.
- Curious George (1941).
- Curious George Takes a Job (1947).
- Curious George Rides a Bike (1952).
- Curious George Gets a Medal (1957).
- Curious George Flies a Kite (1958).
- Curious George Learns the Alphabet (1963).
- Curious George Goes to the Hospital (1966).
The Books, Movies, and TV Series Include Examples Of:
- Adults Are Useless: The Man With the Yellow Hat often leaves George to his own devices. Let us repeat: George is a monkey.
- Black Bead Eyes: In the books.
- Caretaker Reversal: Occurs in a few of the tv series episodes.
- Curious as a Monkey: Trope Namer
- Deadpan Snarker: Junior. Actually Junior is made of this.
- Don't Try This At Home (See the above page quote; used with the twist that the only death-defying stunts George does are his monkey antics)
- Everything's Better with Monkeys
- Great White Hunter: The Man with the Yellow Hat's role in the first book, where he captured George for an American zoo.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Maggie.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Frank Welker as George in the movie and TV series.
- Hot Teacher: Maggie.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Ivan.
- No Name Given: The Man With the Yellow Hat, until the movie, which revealed his name to be Ted Shackleford.
- Nice Hat: The Man With the Yellow Hat, natch.
- Person with the Clothing: The Man with the Yellow Hat.
- The Nose Knows: Ivan.
- Once Per Episode: George's curiosity would always get him in trouble. Then he would do something heroic, and all would be forgiven.
- Shallow Love Interest: Thankfully averted with Maggie.
- The Unfavorite: Junior.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Junior.
- Shirtless Scene: Only happened once in the episode Curious George Sees Stars, where the Man in the Yellow Hat is seen in his swim trunks.
The Movies Include Examples Of:
- Adaptation Expansion: The Movie, especially the character of Ted.
- The Chew Toy/The Woobie: Ted spends most of the movie going between these two.
- Crazy Prepared: The theater's phone tree has an option for Klingon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ted in the movie, when things don't go well for him.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: During Ted's exchange with an unseen and unheard angry motorist, Ted yells back, "Well, that's physically impossible for me to do!"
- Sequel: Curious George 2: Follow That Monkey - Direct to Video
- Single-Issue Landlord: Only in The Movie.
- The Other Darrin: In The Movie Ted was voiced by Will Ferrell; in the Sequel he was voiced by Jeff Bennett