|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
"Super Divine Beast Combination!"
Dancouga Nova is a Super Robot show that started airing on February 15, 2007. Masami Obari designed and directed the series. This is the supposed sequel to Super Beast Machine God Dancouga, though it is more a Spiritual Successor to Gravion.
The story takes place in 2014, when wars spring up all over the world and Japan has been devastated by a massive earthquake. Where ever the fighting turns to favor one of the sides, a mysterious force appears to even the odds, but never finishes off the side that once was winning. It leaves once the balance of power is restored. This is Dancougar Nova.
Tropes associated with this series include:
- Action Girl - Aoi and Kurara. Holy hell, Aoi and Kurara.
- Badass Driver - Aoi.
- Bi the Way Seimi, though she only shows any interest in Aoi in the course of the series.
- Big Bad (Moon Will)
- The Cameo (by Klein Sandman of Gravion's fame)
- The President was also there with him. Beside Sandman.
- Char Clone - Eida. Blonde wearing a mask, piloting a red mecha.
- Combining Mecha
- Dark-Skinned Blond - Seimi
- Designer Babies: Aoi
- Determinator - Runs in all four of Dancouga Nova's pilots.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? - Original Dancouga and Moon Will. Bonus points in that Aoi actually punches the latter.
- Eagle Land - The Neidermeyer captain of Episode 4 is an obvious example of type 2.
- Everybody Lives - Though Aoi had a very close brush with death.
- Expy : Seimi, imagine Excellen Browning as a mechanic and the result isnt far from her.
- Well mostly everybody. We never do find out what happened to Fog Sweeper and Earth Will and we did get a brief shot of Dragon's Hive getting shot down.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble - the pilots: model & racer Aoi, young cop Kurara, Badass Bookworm salaryman Johnny, and Hot-Blooded homeless bum Sakuya. It becomes a Five-Man Band after the inclusion of Eida in R-Daigun.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Fog Sweeper and Earth Will in Dragon's Hive in the final episode. Maybe. Unlike everyone else, these two don't show up again so it's highly suggested that they had been Killed Off for Real.
- Hey, It's That Voice: Imagine Tomoyo Sakagami as a Badass Adorable Supercop.
- Homeless Hero - Sakuya
- Hot-Blooded - Pretty much everyone who pilots Dancouga.
- Idol Singer - Johnny has a crush on one - and gets to meet her in person. It's Love At First Sight.
- Improbable Age: Kurara. See Supercop below for more info.
- In Name Only
- Innocent Innuendo - In the episode where Sakuya finally gets a...
- Rocket Punch - called Boost Nova Knuckle.
- Omniscient Morality License - The four pilots often feel like they are being manipulated in this way.
- The Rival - R-Daigun to Dancouga Nova, a red Beast Machine, which is piloted by Idol Singer Eida (see above entry)
- Salaryman - Johnny starts of as one who later quits his job while Sakuya used to be one, or so it seems.
- Spell My Name with an "S" People call the Dancougas Dancougars even though Shinobu makes it clear in 80s Dancouga that the name is Dancouga with the code input D A N C O U G A, Dancouga Nova doesn't even have a English version and yet people call it a Dancougar too.
- Shout-Out : Lulli Luli ? Baka baka ? sounds like Ruri Hoshino.
- D for Dangerous is a notable line from Tekkaman Blade.
- Shut UP, Hannibal - Aoi won't listen to bullshit about how Humans Are Bastards.
- Spiritual Successor - To Gravion
- Supercop - Kurara. 15 years old, cleaned up the corrupt narcotics division of the police department single-handedly. Her Improbable Aiming Skills probably helped a lot.
- Super Mode
- Super Robot Wars (Made its debut in Super Robot Wars L and met Voltes V and Combattler V like its predecessor did.)
- Speaking of predecessors, it has also appeared in Super Robot Wars Z 2 alongside the original Dancouga and Gravion.
- Take That: Ameria had invaded the Middle East using a war on terrorism as a cover and caused terrorism to spread throughout the world.
- Talking to Himself: Norio Wakamoto voices both Earth Will and Moon Will, which ultimately leads to this incomparable showdown.
- Transforming Mecha
- Theme Music Power-Up: Lampshaded. Dancouga Nova plays it's own theme song over external speakers.
- True Companions - Aoi, Sakuya, Kurara and Johnny start out as complete strangers and end up like this.
- Twelve-Episode Anime
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future
- What Could Have Been: Word of God states that the series was originally meant to have a much deeper connection with the original Dancouga, the most notable of which being Aoi being a descendant of Sara.
- Wrench Wench - Seimi
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair - Kurara