|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Dead Head Fred is a horror-themed 3rd-person action/adventure game for the PSP by Vicious Cycle Software.
Set in 1940's style film-noir (gangsters, fine suits, and evil mob-bosses... mixed with zombies, radioactive mutants, and cursed statues), the plot and game focuses on recently deceased Private Investigator Fred Neuman (a no-nonsense badass with a penchant for violence, threatening people excessively and following up soon after, and fine suits) as he explored Hope Falls, New Jersey on a quest for answer to his death, his last contact's contract for him that led him to the shambling city in the first place, and above all, his missing head.
This game is notably unique from others in that Fred fights, explores, and socializes with a variety of skills and biological weapons gained from switching his head with up to 9 different personas, each totally unique from the other one.
It's interesting gameplay mechanic aside, the game itself, the plot, and most notably the voice acting is filled to the brim with the Darkest, Grossest Humor you will probably ever see in a PSP game, bonus points to the formers extremely lax and extremely casual approach to Death.
- Actor Allusion: In the credits, Fred states that his favorite show is this comedy set in a hospital with his favorite character being... Well, figure it out for yourself.
- Brain In a Jar: Fred's default head is this. It is also the cut-scene head.
- Darker and Edgier: The original Fred Neuman was a cute robot named Geo. He then turned into a super-deformed, pint-sized and extremely angry detective with a jar for a head. His final incarnation is the angry, trash-talking, excessively violent corpse we see today.
- Dead to Begin With: Fred. It's a major plot-point.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Zombie Town is—gasp!-- a town made entirely of zombies!
- Expressive Mask / Frozen Face: Fred's frontal lobes give him a furrowed brow. However, that's about all he can do (Not that he doesn't always seem pissed).
- Limit Break: Appropriately enough, Fred has super-powerful moves available when he is extremely angry. The bar is also named the "Rage" meter.
- Mini Game: There's lots of things to distract Fred from his Roaring Rampage of Revenge.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Fred has slight anger issues.
- Leg Cannon: Lefty uses a Thompson Machine Gun (Tommy Gun) to brace his amputated right leg.
- Losing Your Head: Fred does this to every enemy he encounters. He also suffers from this.
- Off with His Head: Used in spades, bonus points because it's an important plot and gameplay element.
- Perpetual Smiler: The Dummy Head. It's made of plastic, yes, but the smile is definitely always there.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Guess who.
- Shock and Awe: Fred can channel electric currents using the Jar head.