|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Suganuma Shouichi was one of the nobles of the violinist world and loved by classical music fans everywhere. Even though he devoted his whole life to the violin, even going so far as to travel to Germany for his studies, unforeseen circumstances force him to move back to Japan forever disgraced. At the beginning of this story, he lives and works at Live House 696 at the request of the owners, his Childhood Friend Sakurai Kanae and her family. Through his interactions with his co-workers and the people who play there, he is exposed to the rock culture of the live house.
One day, he meets the wandering bassist Gohda Eiji. They don't get along, but when Gohda is forced to form a band, he joins as a guitarist along with the ex-drummist, Sadao, Kanae's father. In order to learn this new instrument, he obtains the help of the mostly normal (but fanatical when it comes to the guitar) Ooba Yayoi to be his teacher. Even after intensive training, when the concert starts, he is unable to play to his full ability because of Eiji's overpowering bass. One of the customers he has met beforehand, Kaguya Riho, takes charge of the microphone and sings, easing Shouichi's tension. Even though he recovers in the concert, afterwards, he's so depressed about his abysmal performance and his inability to quit music that he tries to break his hands. Fortunately, Eiji interferes and says that Shouichi was meant to play rock because of his depressing situation and should try playing in a rock band.
Following his advice, Shouichi creates a band with both Eiji and Yayoi and his trusty new guitar Fraulein. The Cloudcuckoolander drummer Rimu joins after the eventful marriage between her mother and stepfather, and a Battle of the Bands with Riho's former band convinces her to join Shouichi's band. Later, they discover that they all have won the same mysterious prize from the same old vending machine in the live house, a guitar pick with the word "Deardrops" written on it. They choose that as the name of their band and go on to conquer the indie rock world!
See also Kirakira, the Spiritual Predecessor.
- All Drummers Are Animals: Rimu
- Beach Episode: The last major concert of the Common Route
- Big Fancy House: Shouichi's former home since he was originally from a rich family.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Rimu
- Cool Old Guy: The Master
- Crossover: with "Kira Kira" in d2b VS DEARDROPS -Cross the Future.
- Cutting Off the Branches: Kirari's good route seems to have been the canon route here as Kirari gets a cameo in Riho's route where she's acknowledged as a famous singer. In this visual novel, Riho's route appears to be the canon route judging by the length of her route (being over twice as long as some of the other heroine's) and the crossover fandisc.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Unsurprisingly Eiji has one of these.
- Five Man Band Concert: As one might expect.
- Friendly Rivalry: Kanade versus Deardrops in her route.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: To Eiji, late in Riho's route when he suddenly quits the band.
- Gratuitous English: Like in Kira Kira, English swearing is common. In one example, the guy receiving the words, Samejima, didn't understand the meaning even though he was an indie rock star.
- I Just Want to Be Special: Yayoi
- Jerkass With a Heart of Gold: Eiji and Samejima although the former is more so.
- Last Girl Wins: Technically the last girl to join the band but Riho's route is certainly the canon one.
- Little Miss Snarker: Sakurai Chika
- Multiple Endings
- My Greatest Second Chance: Shouichi gets the chance to go back to playing the violin in a couple of routes. He refuses in kanade's route but accepts the offer at the end of Riho's route.
- Only Sane Man: Depending on the situation, it's Chika or Yayoi
- The Power of Rock: Duh.
- Patient Childhood Love Interest: Kanade
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Lampshaded. They break up and rejoin in Riho's route only to break up by the end. They get back together in the fandisk though.
- Slice of Life
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Compared to Kira Kira, Deardrops is much more idealistic. When they meet in the fandisk, Riho and Shikanosuke have an argument because of their differing views and life experiences.
- Staircase Tumble: Shinichi caused one of these to happen to his rival violinist Johan by pushing him due to being overstressed which got him kicked out of the orchestra, starting off the events of the visual novel. He actually hesitated at the last moment. Johan decided to hurl himself down the stairs anyway due to being similarly stressed.
- Title Drop: Deardrops is the name of the band, named after a pick each of the band members has and the band is named soon after all the members are gathered.
- Token Mini-Moe: Sakurai Chika
- Tsundere: Riho towards Shinichi. In her route, it is revealed that she'd been impressed with how he managed to dedicate his life to music and play in a professional orchestra in Germany and was disappointed and angry at him for squandering that chance and returning to Japan due to a certain incident (pushing his rival violinist Johan down a staircase on impulse.).
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Seriously, Chika practically plays the role of the band manager while still being 10. Growing up in a live house might have something to do with that though.