|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
A 1991 French Black Comedy directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic apartment building in a France of an ambiguous time period, and focuses on the tenants of the apartment building and their desperate bids to survive. The protagonist, a former circus artist named Louison, arrives to replace a tenant whose reason for departure is initially unclear. However, it is gradually revealed that the building owner, Clapet, is luring unemployed people to murder them and use them as a source of food for his tenants. Louison's only salvation relies on Julie, Clapet's daughter who doesn't agree with his father's actions and is also in love with Louison, and a vegetarian rebel group known as the Troglodistes, who agrees to assist Julie in exchange of food supply.
Delicatessen provides examples of:
- After the End: Vaguely.
- Bittersweet Ending: Clapet's reign of terror may be over, but there's a finite supply of corn and it won't hold out forever. However, the yellow gas is less oppressive in the final scene.
- Crapsack World
- Driven to Suicide: Poor Aurore...
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Clapet loves his daughter and tries the best to make her happy, despite she is greatly against his methods of feeding the tenants.
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Played with. Julie takes her glasses off on hers and Louisson's first date. It doesn't end well. She eventually ditches them for contact lenses. God knows how she got her hands on those.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Humanitarianism seems to have had an unexpected surge in popularity After the End.
- La Résistance: The Troglodistes.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Resounds all through the house.
- Meganekko: Julie.
- Trash the Set
- Underwater Kiss: Between Julie and Louison when they flood themselves in the bathroom.
- Video Credits