|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Delta Goodrem (2001-present) was born 9 November 1984. She is an Australian singer/songwriter and pianist. She also acted in a movie called Hating Alison Ashley and played the role of Nina Tucker on the Australian soap Neighbours. She has done two Australian month long tours, Visualise (2005) and Believe Again (2009).
When signed to Sony, at the age of 15, she first tried to take advantage of the pop explosion, in 2001, with a single called "I Don't Care". However, her first album proper, Innocent Eyes, signified a completely different musical direction, an acoustic personal comtemporary singer songwriter direction, It went 14 times platinum in 2003/2004, with five #1 singles. Mistaken Identity (2004), also five times platinum, followed this album.
She then took awhile to do her album Delta (2007) which she did mostly with Brian Mcfadden. This album featured the hit singles "In This Life", "Believe Again", "You Will Only Break My Heart" and " I Can't Break It To My Heart".
Currently a judge/mentor on the Australian version of The Voice.
- Innocent Eyes (2003)
- Delta (Also Named Innocent Eyes) DVD (2003)
- Mistaken Identity (2004)
- Visualise Tour DVD (2005)
- Delta (2007)
- Believe Again Tour DVD/CD (2009)
- Soon (Soon)
- Album Title Drop: Her first two albums.
It's a terrible case of mistaken identity
My faith and innocent eyes
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: "I Don't Care", and virtually all the boyfriends and fiances' she has had up to but not including Nick Jonas.
- Audience Participation Song: You Will Only Break My Heart, Sitting On Top Of the World, Innocent Eyes, A Little Too Late, all by design!
- Break Up Song: "Not Me Not I", "Throw It Away", "Lost Without You", "Silence Be Heard", "I'm Not Ready", "Predictable", "My Big Mistake", "Flawed".
- Briefer Than They Think: Despite how she brought Singer-Songwriters back into popularity in Australia, she's only had three albums out in almost ten years.
- Be Yourself: "The Riddle", "This Is Not Me", "In My Own Time", "Running Away", "Mistaken Identity", "Nobody Listened", "A Little Too Late"... and some other tracks from her first and second albums.
- Bare Your Midriff: During the second sequence of her first tour.
- Career Resurrection: Upcoming fourth album and the "Delta" album were both a form of these due to the heavy Development Hell she wrapped both projects in.
- Careful with That Axe: Used towards the end of "Nobody Listened"
- Call Back: "Lost Without You" is mentioned in "A Little Too Late".
- "A Little Too Late" video has a jamming with friends vibe, just like "Lost Without You" did
- "Sitting On Top of The World" features a lyrical shout out to "Together We Are One". The song also features the "oooh oooh oooh"'s after the finale which happened in "Believe Again".
- "Sitting On Top the World" music video also has visual tributes/gags/references to "A Little Too Late" (Fun group dancing, hanging with friends vibe, sad ending), "In This Life" (Fashion focused music video, Bridget Bardot Look, change in shade after third verse, Foot Focus) and "Out Of the Blue" (Standing up by a piano playing it instead of sitting).
- Celebrity Endorsement: Pepsi used her in 2004 in Australia. She had her own underwear line in 2005-2007. She then endorsed, Proactive, So Good, Sunsilk, Nintendo Wii in 2008-2010. Endorsed Balloons in one of her latest songs videos. Weetbix used her once or twice. Newest brand to use her star power is "Swiss".
- Christmas Songs: Did a Christmas concert for her fans and also played parts in various televised Christmas shows in Australia.
- Creator Breakdown: Mistaken Identity came from her bout with cancer and sudden awareness of her own mortality at the age of 19.
- Creator Backlash: Disowns each previous era before starting a new one. (This then falls into Artist Disillusionment naturally which leads to Development Hell)
- Creator Couple: With both Nick Jonas and Brian Mcfadden
- Cluster F-Bomb: Confessed to actually using these during her cancer ordeal.
- Darker and Edgier: Mistaken Identity is this to both Innocent Eyes and "Delta"
- Discontinuity / Retcon: Her debut single "I Don't Care" was retconned from Delta's past for a good couple of years. However, it was in the setlist for the Visualise Tour before being forgotten about once again.
- Development Hell: Delta's third album spent three years in development (04-07). Delta's fourth album's been developed since 2008 since she wrote while she toured and promoted herself in America. However, the new single 'Sitting on Top of the World' points to a new studio release "Soon".
- Does Not Like Shoes: When she performs, especially at the piano, she always goes bare foot.
- The music video for "Lost Without You" makes a point to show us this
- Duet Bonding: How she got together with Brian Mcfadden.
- Early Installment Weirdness: Her 'experiments' with pop with "I Don't Care" and the original version of "A Year Ago Today" as this to fans of her initially. The majority of her music lacks this element.
- Epic Instrumental Opener: "Believe Again" features 42 second introduction, mostly done with a symphony.
- Era Specific Personality: She seems to have two, her "Delta Goodrem" singer-songwriter persona, which is very honest and soulful and her "Delta" popstar persona, complete with Celine Dion-esque Melismatic Vocals.
- Fan Girl: Apparently has a thing for Miley Cyrus.
- Fan Nickname: Her third Self-Titled Album is nicknamed "Believe Again" within her fandom.
- Follow Your Heart: "Born To Try", "Here I Am (Piano Cello Version)", "This Is Not Me", "In My Own Time", "The Riddle" "A Little Too Late", "Mistaken Identity", "Disorientated", "Flawed", "Running Away"
- Foot Focus: Takes time off in every gig to tell everyone she Does Not Like Shoes and in a few of her music videos opens with shot at her feet. (In This Life, Lost Without You and others) In This Life music video is basically about her feet.
- Grief Song: A Year Ago Today
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: Used for dramatic purposes in Extraordinary Day
- Heroic RROD: This is how the days before she got cancer are explained to have been in her Woman's Weekly magazine interview in 2004 and her "Delta" 2003 DVD backs up her over work hurt her body idea.
- Hidden Depths: Appears to be a pretty good ballet dancer according to her "Delta" DVD.
- I Am You and You Are Me: Said word for word in "Fortune and Love".
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Falls into this time to time still not committing any widely acknowledged social or career bad moves, pissed off any Moral Guardians in Australia or generally noted her sexuality or her mistakes. This is also dealt with her Contractual Purity.
- She also wears a lot of white all the time to exaggerate her innocence.
- Also disowns all negative emotions and moments ever, which is a form of this trope.
- Also, at the tender age of 27 refused to put a sexual track or a song with sexual connotations on her albums. 2 which were made over the age of 18.
- The Ingenue: and how, related to Incorruptible Pure Pureness she barely admits fault or wrongness.
- Important Haircut: Shaved all her hair off on impulse before the ARIA's in 2003...This was during her chemo treatment and her hair was falling out anyway.
- Intercourse with You: "Take Me Home", "Fever", "How A Dream Looks".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: 'Not Me Not I', 'Silence Be Heard', 'Nobody Listened', 'Throw It Away', 'You Will Only Break My Heart'.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Had to be written out of Neighbours due to getting cancer.
- Growing Up Sucks: "Innocent Eyes" falls into this.
- Lighter and Softer: Her New Sound Album "Delta" is this to Mistaken Identity.
- Lonely Piano Piece: "Fragile" and "Will You Fall For Me".
- Love Nostalgia Song: "I Can't Break It To My Heart", Lost Without You
- Love Will Lead You Back: I Can't Break It To My Heart
If I still believe you love me
- Long Title: "I Can't Break It To My Heart", "You Will Only Break My Heart", "Right Here In My Heart", "Sitting On Top Of the World".
- Lyrical Dissonance: "God Laughs".
- Lyrical Cold Open: "Innocent Eyes".
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: As far as who she plays on stage to who she is in real life. She plays at mean teasing snarker when on stage with her band and dancers, but in real life is apparently a sweetheart who always makes time for her fans and is always really close to her band, especially her musical director Rich Sanford.
- Mood Whiplash: Going 14 times platinum/Diagnosed with cancer in the same year
- Mistaken Identity Album: Extraordinary Day then A Little Too Late, actually most of the album is quiet whiplashing.
- Melismatic Vocals: Uses it on her "Innocent Eyes" era live, EFFECTIVELY to play with the songs a little bit.
- Used on "Delta" album to imitate Celine Dion to YMMV results.
- New Sound Album: "Delta" is rather pop compared to her other albums, also takes away the classical piano to an extent. She uses songs from very far outside sources with styles like country ("Woman") and Celine Dion-like song writers ("The Guardian"), which contrasts to her rather close to the albums own sound songs she uses from other songwriters on her first and second albums, for example Throw It Away and Lost Without You both fit in Innocent Eyes well. Innocent Eyes and Mistaken Identity are also longer then this album. She also indulged in Celine Dion and rock like singing styles and techniques not prevalent on her previous albums. It also has country and R&B and rock influences not present on Mistaken Identity and Innocent Eyes. It ultimately is shorter then her usual albums too. It was her experimental album.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Or in Mistaken Identity's case: Contemporary classical piano focused jazz-pop rock.
- Overshadowed by Awesome: Among the co-coaches in "The Voice" Delta has had a ten year old career, with only three albums to her name and is only super famous/notable in Australia. The rest (Seal, Good Charlotte's Joel Madden and Keith Urban) have had at least 7 albums and have been around for 17 years, and are famous world wide.
- Performance Video : "Predictable", "Be Strong", "I Can't Break It To My Heart"
- Pimped-Out Dress: It'd be easier to dress out the times and performances she didn't pimp out or dress up her dresses.
- The Pollyanna: Enduring member of this trope...To almost worrying self destructive creativity stunting levels
- Sanity Slippage Song : "Nobody Listened", "Disorientated", "Running Away"
- Sarcasm Mode: Invoked in the pitched up version of "Out of the Blue" at her Believe Again tour.
- Self-Titled Album: Her third album is this.
- Spiritual Successor / Replacement Goldfish : Has two, at this point, since she took her break after the end of "Delta" era and that break has been long enough to build two separate woman's careers:
- Shout-Out: "Flawed" music video has a shout out to Alice in Wonderland and The Chronicles Of Narnia.
- Strictly Formula: Open every era with a happy inspirational song, and then turn in some darker more epic, and more honest tracks for single number 2.
- Stage Mom: Her mother managed her for a couple of years 01-05 and this would explain her habit of Development Hell-ing her albums.
- Silly Love Songs: "Believe Again" a definitive and exaggerated and over the top but genuine version of this.
- "Sitting On Top of the World", "Beautiful Madness", "Out Of The Blue", "Brave Face", "If I Forget", "Fortune and Love".
- Subdued Section: Sitting On Top Of the World.
- Refuge in Audacity: "Believe Again" drum sections, piano sections, extreme string sessions, long intro and outro, some of the most saccharine lyrics you could imagine. It applies.
- Rockstar Song: "Electric Storm","The Riddle","Mistaken Identity","This Is Not Me","In My Own Time","The Riddle".
- Running Gag: Unintentionally her fourth album was coming "Soon" for about two years+
- Tall Poppy Syndrome / Hype Backlash: Got this from all sides when her Mistaken Identity album came out, after the immense success of Innocent Eyes.
- Take That: Told an interviewer that she felt trapped while with Brian Mcfadden and implied he was controlling and manipulative.
- Title Track: "Mistaken Identity" and "Innocent Eyes".
- Woman Scorned: Not Me Not I, Nobody Listened, You Will Only Break My Heart, the Guardian, Woman, Silence Be Heard, Predictable
- What Do You Mean It's Not Awesome?: her advert for The Voice Australia defines this trope, it's one of the four talent shows on in Australia right now, and only just starting at that. They use over the top symphonies and slow motion replays of the coach/judges doing...things which are extremely boring.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Often brings up her Dark and Troubled Past and various personal and private issues.
- Word Salad Lyrics / What Do You Mean It Wasn't Made on Drugs??: 'The Riddle' is this.
I like mars, it's the reason I am here