Person. Post Modern stand-up comedian and actor. His comedy features a blend of jokes, illustrations, animation, and music. He previously appeared on a recurring segment of The Daily Show called "Trendspotting," which lampooned youth culture. He recently starred in his own series, Important Things with Demetri Martin, on Comedy Central and has a starring role in Ang Lee's film Taking Woodstock.
His work features examples of:
- Captain Obvious: A recurring theme in Martin's comedy is the use of unnecessary labels. For example, the large pad he frequently uses is always labeled "Large Pad" on the front page. His first comedy special is titled These Are Jokes.
- Crazy Awesome: Trope Namer.
- Deadpan Snarker: Heavy emphasis on the deadpan.
- Distracted by the Luxury
- Fun with Palindromes: He wrote a 224-word palindrome for "If I"
- Fruit Cart: One chapter in his book is set in the point of view of a cart merchant.
- Hey, It's That Guy! / Playing Against Type: In Contagion, he plays a CDC researcher, who mostly exists to play second fiddle to Jennifer Ehle.
- I Have Many Names: What, Hear, Demetrocles, and Da Mici, among others.
- Logic Bomb: The Parodoxotaur It only exists if you don't believe it exists, but it doesn't exist if you do believe it exists.
- Older Than They Look: Martin looks like he should still be in high school (or the early half of college), but he's actually in his late 30's.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Oh, hell yes.
- Precision F-Strike: Known to use this at times.
"I was in a card store, and they had cards that said "Get well soon." Bleep that. Get well now.
- Something Completely Different: First show: "These Are Jokes", where he simply strums and tells many little gags one after the other. Second show: "If I", an hour-long monologue about palindromes, his stint in law school, and coming to terms with having a lot of useless talents.