• Before making a single edit, Tropedia EXPECTS our site policy and manual of style to be followed. Failure to do so may result in deletion of contributions and blocks of users who refuse to learn to do so. Our policies can be reviewed here.
  • All images MUST now have proper attribution, those who neglect to assign at least the "fair use" licensing to an image may have it deleted. All new pages should use the preloadable templates feature on the edit page to add the appropriate basic page markup. Pages that don't do this will be subject to deletion, with or without explanation.
  • All new trope pages will be made with the "Trope Workshop" found on the "Troper Tools" menu and worked on until they have at least three examples. The Trope workshop specific templates can then be removed and it will be regarded as a regular trope page after being moved to the Main namespace. THIS SHOULD BE WORKING NOW, REPORT ANY ISSUES TO Janna2000, SelfCloak or RRabbit42. DON'T MAKE PAGES MANUALLY UNLESS A TEMPLATE IS BROKEN, AND REPORT IT THAT IS THE CASE. PAGES WILL BE DELETED OTHERWISE IF THEY ARE MISSING BASIC MARKUP.


WikEd fancyquotes.pngQuotesBug-silk.pngHeadscratchersIcons-mini-icon extension.gifPlaying WithUseful NotesMagnifier.pngAnalysisPhoto link.pngImage LinksHaiku-wide-icon.pngHaikuLaconic

Transition in which one scene changes gradually into the other. The speed and timing of the dissolve can be used to add meaning to a scene transition.

Also known as a Cross Dissolve.

Stop a dissolve halfway, and you get superimposition. Dissolve with black (or occasionally white) and you get a Fade In or Fade Out. The second-oldest film transition type, after the Hard Cut.

In the earliest days, dissolves were done in-camera: expose the film while fading out the lights in one scene, wind it back, and shoot the second scene while raising the lights, producing a double-exposed shot. An analog editing bay does much the same job, by fading the light levels used to project the film onto the blank stock.

In video, a dissolve is often called a "mix", because the analog circuitry required works almost exactly like that used in an audio mix, specifically a linear cross-fader. The signals are fed to the same output, but one falls in voltage as the other rises, so the waveform produced is the average of the two at any point.

Digital systems use math — specifically weighted averaging of each pixel with its counterpart — but they do everything with math.

A dissolve is often accompanied by a synchronized audio cross-fade, or a Split Edit.