|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Originally a supporting character on Rocky and Bullwinkle, Dudley Do-Right was an endearingly (to the audience, at least) incompetent officer of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, spoofing silent-movie melodramas. Apparently the only officer in his regiment, Dudley took orders from Inspector Ray Fenwick while protecting the inspector's daughter, Nell, as well as the rest of Canada, from the schemes of the wicked Snidely Whiplash.
In the late 1960s, Dudley headlined his own half-hour Animated Anthology series, which also included cartoons from Total Television, the creators of King Leonardo and His Short Subjects (TTV and Jay Ward both used the services of Gamma Productions). In 1999, Universal released an abysmal live-action Dudley Do-Right movie starring Brendan Fraser, Sarah Jessica Parker and Alfred Molina.
Dudley Do-Right provides examples of:
- A Dog Named "Dog": Horse, Dudley's horse.
- And as a once-removed example, Dudley's recurring pet wolf, Faithful Dog (named after... it's a long story).
- All Love Is Unrequited: Dudley fond of Nell, Nell is fond of... his horse. Squick or Fetish Fuel, take your pick!
- Animated Series
- Badass Mustache Snidely Whiplash
- Bound and Gagged: Happens to Nell a lot, naturally.
- Bride and Switch: One episode had Dudley pull this trick on Snidely Whiplash, who was trying to marry Nell, by replacing Nell with his horse. (It worked!)
- Canada, Eh?: We know, you're shocked.
- Can't Get in Trouble For Nuthin'
- Chained to a Railway: The very opening sequence of the show.
- One episode portrayed it as a addiction for Snidely. He not just ties women to railroad tracks, but Nell, Horse, Inspector Fenwick, and even himself.
- Clothes Make the Maniac: used for a Personality Swap episode.
- Comedic Hero
- Dastardly Whiplash: Partial Trope Namer.
- Distressed Damsel: Nell.
- Dudley Do-Right Stops to Help: (The Trope Namer, of course)
- Fiery Redhead: Nell
- Godiva Hair: Dudley in one episode. Though in this case, it was a beard.
- Good Is Dumb
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Snidely Whiplash is played by the Disney Captain Hook.
- Idiot Hero: Yeah. One memorable incident involved Dudley discovering his commanding officer Bound and Gagged, but simply thinks he's bundled up against the cold, and decides to throw another log on the fire. However...
Narrator: In the dim light that dim-wit threw in the fireplace not firewood but firearms!
- And somehow, this ends up saving the day?
- Interspecies Romance: Nell and Horse.
- Lantern Jaw of Justice
- Malevolent Mugshot
- The Movie: A Live Action Adaptation
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Dudley is (to some extent, at least) a caricature of Nelson Eddy's Mountie character in Rudolf Friml's Rose-Marie, and has a tendency to break into Eddy's signature melody, "Shortnin' Bread."
- Non-Fatal Explosions
- Spell My Name with a "The": Dudley Do-Right's Horse.
- True-Blue Femininity: Nell