|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
A fantasy/mystery novel by Diana Wynne Jones. David, forced to spend his school vacation with his guardians, who he dislikes, accidentally releases Luke (Loki) from prison, and then has to protect him from Luke's family, who are after him to give back something he stole.
Tropes featured include:
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Astrid dislikes David's family just as much as he does, and when they realize this they start to get along a lot better.
- Evil Uncle: It turns out David's uncle and cousin have been stealing money that was rightfully David's and using it for their own illegal purposes.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: In the myths, Loki once accused Frey and Freya of Brother-Sister Incest. They appear disguised as a married couple.
- Just Whistle: Luke appears when David strikes a match.
- Locked Out of the Loop: David can only find what Luke stole if he doesn't know what it is.
- Norse Mythology
- Meaningful Name: Luke, Mr. Chew, Mr. Wedding, and the Frys.
- Pals with Jesus: Pals with Loki, rather.
- Parental Abandonment: David's parents are dead and his guardians are spiteful and neglectful.
- Really Seven Hundred Years Old: Luke
- The Trickster: Luke.
- Woman Scorned: The ultimate driving force behind the plot.