|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
One result from the Beach Episode is, unfortunately, sunburns. Always remember to bring sunscreen, enough of it, otherwise you may get some embarrassing words or images on your body (or, you know, skin cancer). See also Tan Lines.
Examples of Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn include:
- Ranma One Half: after most of the males in the student body eat some bad fruit and all think Ranma is their wife, they do some activities that newlyweds might do, like feeding each other, taking pictures together, and putting suntan lotion on "their wife." Ranma isn't amused when he develops a sunburn that spells out the word "love" on his back.
- Happens on I Love Lucy, in an episode where Lucy must participate in a fashion show to get a very expensive dress for free. Trying to get a little color, she ends up badly burning herself--and parading around on stage in a tight tweed jacket. Ouch.
- Seinfeld: Kramer gets severe sunburn after falling asleep while tanning using butter as his tanning lotion. Cue Newman seeing him in Meat-O-Vision, since Kramer smells like a roast turkey.
- In Malcolm in the Middle, Reese's skin starts peeling from a bad sunburn. Rather than being embarrassed, he starts to peel it off in one piece to create a "Reese suit".
- In Hannah Montana, Jackson go to play a "shirts" vs "skins" game of beach volleyball. He gets a bad case of sunburn and is particularly embarrassed as his father had reminded him to put on cream before he left. Of course, Hilarity Ensues.
- Happens to Paige when she falls asleep while sunbathing in FoxTrot. Another strip had Jason planning on laying letters on Paige's back while she tanned to spell out 'KICK ME', but his mother stopped him.
- Subverted in one strip where Paige thinks this has happened to her as she's beet red. Turns out that Jason had actually covered her in paint while she slept.
- The "fall asleep while sunbathing" gag also happened to Jeremy in Zits.
- This also happened a few times to Jon whenever he and Garfield go to the beach.
- In the Neil Simon play The Star-Spangled Girl, we're told that Andy spends time with the landlady in lieu of paying rent. At one point they go surfing; Andy later describes his sunburn in detail, saying that he has the outline of a bird from where a seagull passed over them while they were out at sea waiting in vain for waves.
- Ed, Edd 'n' Eddy: The end of the Beach Episode results in the trio getting sunburns. Edd was quite distressed earlier in the episode about forgetting the sunscreen, even more so when Ed wasted all of Jonny's. Ed makes best of the situation by likening himself to a chameleon.
- In Futurama, Amy gets a sunburn because Bender did not put any sunblock on her. Or rather, he only put on enough to write "Honk if Bender is great".
- On the SpongeBob SquarePants episode "Ripped Pants", SpongeBob asks "Am I the biggest fool on the beach?" One of the fish who claim to be a biggest fool is a lady with sunburn.
- In another episode, SpongeBob and Patrick try to get tanned with a tanning booth. SpongeBob stays on too long and ends up sunbleached. When he shows up to a party, one character is so impressed that he declares sunbleaching the ultimate tan.
- Ben 10: Ultimate Alien: Ben gets a particularly embarrassing sunburn from being on a planet that is literally half inferno and half icy wasteland. He's only unprotected for like three seconds, but... half his face is bright red in the next scene. This is never mentioned again.
- Heffer in Rocko's Modern Life had one on his butt of all places.
- Stewie from Family Guy once got into the whole tan lifestyle. Unfortunately, he fell asleep in the tanning bed and suffered one of these.