|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
For some reason, the color green is associated with mystical/mysterious powers. In fiction, it's translated by the Artifact of Doom or the phlebotium glowing green or being made of emerald. Sometimes, a character himself is this if his green skin is a distinctive feature.
Possibly due to the fact that normally nothing gives off green or purple light except from artificial sources. Natural incandescent light (such as flame) is red, orange, yellow, white or more rarely blue.
- Depicting willpower or courage as a green energy is quite popular:
- The Green Lantern Corps, obviously. Though as of the 2000s their power has been established as only one of several and not particularly any more special than other colors.
- Gurren Lagann's mechas and even their pilots turn green when they fight seriously.
- Same for GaoGaiGar .
- The Legend of Zelda: Link, The Triforce of Courage, and the Goddess of Courage Farore are represented by Green
- Radioactive stuff almost always glow green, too.
- The Simpsons are probably the best example.
- A bag of money in any media is usually full of green dollars. And money is a power.
- A witch brew is almost always green - if not the witch herself.
Anime & Manga
- Averted with Jingoro Amayo from Basilisk: he is green skinned and possess abilities, but his supernatural power (being a slugman) is probably the lamest in the series.
- C.C. is an "immortal witch" with long, green hair.
- D.Gray-man: the Innocences glow green, with Allen's leaking green light in its first, weaker stages.
- While a Super Saiyan glow is usually yellow, Broly has a green one.
- Also, both the Earth's God and Dragon Ball final boss, Satan, are Namekians.
- Zero, Brain's Super-Powered Evil Side, uses green colored Dark Magic.
- GaoGaiGar G-Stone, which translate raw courage into energy
- Sacred Gears in High School DxD glow green when activated.
- In Sengoku Basara, Mitsuhide has a Sickly Green Glow Battle Aura. Considering that he survived afer being left in a burning temple to die and that he also tries to resurrect his former master Nobunaga with a dark ritual, we can see something "Mystical" in it.
- Monsters vs. Aliens' phlebotium, quantonium. It turns Susan into a fifty feet woman.
- The Death Star beams is green. Also, Yoda.
- The army of the dead in the Lord of the Rings movies is made of greenish ghosts.
- Similarly, the ghosts in Asterix and the Twelve Tasks are greenish
- Avada Kedavra
- The Mask
- Flubber is an emerald-green blob which doesn't care about gravity. At all.
- In Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, the Green Destiny sword.
- The Green Death
- The Disintegrator Ray in Mars Attacks (Film) leaves nothing but its victims' bright green skeleton.
- Heavy Metal. The Arc Villain of the various episodes of the movie is the Loc-Nar, AKA the "Sum of All Evils". It gives off a green glow whenever it exerts its power.
- Both The Incredible Hulk and She Hulk are green. And they're indeed powerful.
- Martian Manhunter. A simple glance at him tells you he's just as strong as Superman.
- The original Green Lantern, Alan Scott, has the literally magical equivalent to the Green Lantern Ring.
- The Spectre, God's spirit of vengeance on Earth, wears a green robe and frequently uses green flames with his powers.
- Alan Scott's daughter Jade has an internalized version of his powers, plus green skin (and though she has traveled in space, she is not a Green-Skinned Space Babe).
- The phrase "Magic is green" is used to refer to Matt Wagner's Mage comic book, as that color is used for the effects of the wizard character.
- Magyk in Septimus Heap is natural and symbolized by green, and Wizards have Green Eyes.
- The Warlock Lord from The Sword of Shannara is a wraith made of eerie green mist.
- Arya from the Inheritance Cycle. Her magic color is green, her eyes are green, (hell, anything associated with her is green) and she is probably one of the most badass characters in the series.
- Akhor/Varien's soulgem in Tales of Kolmar is green. As a great silver dragon he's got some psychic powers. As a human he loses them unless he's holding his soulgem against his forehead. It's also used to awaken the Lesser Kindred and restore the Lost later in the series.
- Promicin, the luminous green neurotransmitter from The 4400.
- The tip of the Eleventh Doctor's sonic screwdriver glows green. Nine and Ten's was blue.
- Lorne in Angel...he was an empath who could tell the future when other characters sang, and he was also a green-skinned demon.
- The Green Ranger of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is the most powerful one. (Generally doesn't apply to following series, though, where their Green Rangers are just one of the team.)
- Super Mario Bros as the Green Mushroom
- Tiberium from the Command and Conquer series is the most valuable substance in the world (leading to the GDI and Nod fighting over it) and will either kill or mutate anybody who steps in it.
- The Chaos Emeralds from Sonic the Hedgehog are a bit of a subversion as they're not all green. They're still the strongest phlebotinum in the universe. The Master Emerald, however, is actually green.
- Life Crystals in The Dig.
- More than once in Final Fantasy:
- Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire: No matter which version you own, the strongest Olympus Mons you can catch is Rayquaza, the green dragon. And it's the mascot of the enhanced third version, Pokémon Emerald.
- League of Legends: Chogath's eyes, the anubite Nasus and the undead Sion glow green in their artworks.
- In Blaz Blue Continuum Shift Hazama's Unlimited form is surrounded by a green life-stealing aura.
- The Vortigaunts attack with some kind of green lightning. In the multiplayer game Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, it's a One Hit KO.
- While most fighters are normal humans fighting barehanded, Yoshimitsu is a green alien-robot-ninja fighting with a green laser sword.
- The alien artifacts in Dark Star One that you use to upgrade your ship look like giant green crystals.
- In Homestuck, the near-omnipotent First Guardians are powered by the Green Sun. Use of their powers is associated with the color green, and occasionally they themselves flash green.
- Lord English and his gang The Felt are also associated with green, in part due to their connection with the game of pool.