|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Orin Boyd (Seagal) is a Detroit police officer. At the start of the film, Orin saves the life of the Vice President of the United States from a group of militants, but causes a lot of havoc in doing so. Precinct captain Frank Daniels (Bruce McGill) is pissed, so he reassigns Orin to 15th precinct - the worst precinct in the city. Amidst attending anger management classes, Orin begins to suspect that local affluent drug dealer Latrell Walker (Earl "DMX" Simmons) and his fast-talking sidekick T.K. Johnson (Anthony Anderson) are engaged in shady business. However, he turns out to be wrong. Actually, it's corrupt police who are running the precinct's drug trade. Thus, he and his new partner George Clark (Isaiah Washington) set out to stop them.
Though it did poorly with the critics (34% on Rotten Tomatoes), it was a box office hit, grossing almost $80 million, and was touted as Steven Seagal's big comeback. Oh, how wrong they were about that.
- Arson, Murder, and Lifesaving
- Cool Car: Latrell and T.K. buy one.
- Da Chief: Frank.
- Destructive Savior: Oren is the hero and goes above and beyond defeating the bad guys, but he ends up causing enough property damage to wreck a major city the size of Detroit. Wait a minute...
- He even destroys half of Detroit working a day as a traffic cop!
- Film of the Book
- Gambit Pileup: Nearly every major character has a plan going on, and occasionally crash into each other. Literally.
- Spiritual Successor: Part of a trio of films by Bartkowiak, starting with Romeo Must Die and followed by Cradle 2 the Grave of martial arts buddy cop films (Segal, Jet Li) mixed with rap artists/urban culture, with an added dose of Tom Arnold.