|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
The day may come when this movie is seen as a masterpiece of neo-surrealism. The day may never come when it is seen as funny.
Freddy Got Fingered is a 2001 comedy film written, directed by and starring Tom Green. The film shows the apparently mentally-retarded cartoonist Gord Brody (Green) heading to Los Angeles to obtain a contract for a television series. The producer, however, tells him, quite rightly, that his ideas don't make any sense, forcing him to go back home, to the chagrin of his father.
The film is infamous for its... bawdy humour, which extends to bestiality, rape, and ripping a baby straight out of a woman's womb, in what Roger Ebert ascribed to a trend in Hollywood, starting several years previously and being definitively capped with this film. What was intended by Green as comedy was hated by reviewers, and has a reputation as one of the worst films of all time.
However, critical reception has softened since its release; a year after the film's release, Ebert re-examined the film and stated that, although he found it horrible, he admitted it was at least ambitious in its aim, and that Green had potential to "make a movie worth seeing" some day. A decade later...he still hasn't. The film itself has gone on to gain a cult following.
- Adult Child: Gord.
- All Women Are Lustful: Betty repeatedly insists on sucking Gord off, and he is often hesitant to accept.
"What do you call a guy with cheese on his face? The cheese face!"
- Black Comedy Rape: How the titular assault is supposed to be seen by the viewers.
- Blessed Are the Cheesemakers: Gord works in a cheese sandwich factory at one point.
- But You Screw One Goat!: Except he does it twice. One of the film's Razzies was Worst Couple for "Tom Green and any animal he abuses".
- Butt Monkey: Andy Malloy, a young child who has a horrific injury happen to him every time he appears.
- The Cameo: Tom Green's then-fiancé Drew Barrymore has a few appearances as Dave Davidson's secretary.
- Also, Shaquille O'Neal as Gord's mom's new boyfriend.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Gord
- Dead Baby Comedy
- Deranged Animation: Gord's attempts at cartoons
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Except not.
- Fan Disservice: The entire movie, pretty much.
- I'm Okay: Andy after getting chopped to pieces by plane propellers. Supposedly to avoid an NC-17 rating.
- Insult Backfire: From a deleted scene:
Jim: Nale, you suck!
- Karma Houdini: Gord
- Large Ham: Those familiar with Tom Green's style of comedy won't be surprised by this one.
- Literal Minded: Gord
- Psychopathic Manchild: Gord
- Rape as Drama: How the titular assault is seen in-universe.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gord gives one to an undeserving Nale in a deleted scene:
Cheese sucks! Cheese sandwich factories suck, and only stupid idiots work in cheese sandwich factories! And I'm not a stupid idiot, so you can take this job and shove it in your ass!
- Refuge in Audacity
- Refuge in Vulgarity: Ditto. It even includes footage of Green's cancer removal surgery!
- Something Else Also Rises: When Betty goes down on Gord, there is a picture in the background depicting the Eiffel Tower being erected.
- Stealth Parody: Some say that Tom Green made this film as an over-the-top version of some of the comedies that came out at the time. Compare this to any comedy film made in the two years on either side, and it can be easy to see how some of the scenes in this film are mocking some of the bad clichés in the other. Then again, some think that's giving this movie too much credit.
- Title Drop: Averted, though the title is what Gord accuses his father of doing (Freddy being Gord's younger brother).
- Toilet Humor: Pretty much the whole movie.
- Vertigo Effect
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Gord, to the point of him and his dad nearly reciting the Trope word for word at the end.