|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Gia is a 1998 Biopic about the life and death of model Gia Marie Carangi. The film stars Angelina Jolie in the title role, alongside Faye Dunaway, Mercedes Ruehl and Elizabeth Mitchell, and was directed by Michael Cristofer. Jolie and Dunaway both won Golden Globe awards for their roles.
The film follows Gia as she moves to New York City to become a fashion model, immediately catching the attention of powerful agent Wilhelmina Cooper. Gia's attitude and beauty help her rise quickly to the forefront of the modelling industry, but her persistent loneliness drives her to experiment with mood-altering drugs like cocaine. She becomes entangled in a passionate affair with Linda, a make-up artist. However, after a while Linda begins to worry about Gia's drug use, and their relationship starts to fall apart. Failed attempts at reconciliation with Linda and with her mother drive Gia to begin abusing heroin. Although she is eventually able to break her drug habit after much effort, she has already contracted HIV from a needle containing infected blood and dies from complications from AIDS in 1986 at the age of 26.
This film contains examples of:
- Downer Ending: As it's based on a real person's tragic life.
- Fairytale Wedding Dress: Modeled in one in media res opening.
- Fan Service: Gia and Linda's sex scene; Gia's nude photoshoot prior to that.
- Faux Documentary: Parts of the film are shot documentary-style, as interviews with people who knew Gia.
- How We Got Here: One opening of the film focuses on Gia's corpse being prepared for her funeral. Another version opens with a Fashion Show.
- It Got Worse: Does it ever.
- Kick the Dog: Gia's drug dealer rapes her towards the end of the film.
- Mononymous Biopic Title
- Pretty in Mink: The wedding dress Gia modeled had a huge white fox muff acting as a bouquet (it had flowers bundled on it, and she "tossed" it during the show).
- Public Exposure: During a photo shoot, all the other models leave in disgust when the photographer tells them to "lose the clothes". Gia is the only one willing to go through with it.
- Rape as Drama: A very effective example, when Gia is raped by her drug dealer.
- Window Pain: At one point, Gia smashes the window of Linda's apartment to let herself in.
- Yuri Genre: Gia and Linda's relationship.