|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Jane Yolen's Great Alta Saga is, in many ways, typical of the feminist speculative fiction of the seventies and eighties. There are the requisite separatist societies, the requisite pairing-off of the female characters with men despite the equally requisite Les Yay, and the requisite lamentations regarding the shortcomings of modern society. That is not to say that they are bad books— only that they may seem dated to modern audiences despite being relatively recent works.
The three books in this series are, in order, Sister Light, Sister Dark (1988), White Jenna (1989), and The One-Armed Queen (1998). The first two follow the story of Jenna and her dark (or shadow) sister, Skada, as they lead a long-overdue uprising in their native land. The third novel has Jenna's foster daughter, Scillia, as its main character, and a plot that focuses on the ending of the way of life in which Scillia was brought up.
It should be noted that, though the books were originally marketed for adults (which makes sense), new editions have since been published aimed at readers "ages 13 and up" (which doesn't).
This series contains examples of:
- Action Girl
- Always Chaotic Evil
- Always Night
- Amazon Brigade
- Asskicking Equals Authority - Carum and Jenna, who become king and queen
- Band of Brothers - everyone who fought in the war together
- Battle Couple - Jenna and Carum, Scillia and Sarana
- Cue the Sun
- Culture Clash - the women of the Hames and the invaders
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Death by Childbirth - Jenna's mother; her father is too grief-stricken to raise her, so the midwife takes her to the Hame.
- Everything's Better with Princesses - subverted, as even the actual princesses are never referred to by title
- Door Step Baby - how Jenna came to Seldan Hame
- Feminist Fantasy
- Government in Exile
- Grave Clouds
- Gray Rain of Depression
- Hot Amazon - Jenna and pretty much all the women of the Hames
- Lady Land: Where the women live.
- La Résistance
- Les Yay
- Let's Get Dangerous - Skada, who as a dark sister is supposed to fill a supporting role
- Lovely Angels - the women of the Hames and their dark sisters
- Magnetic Hero
- Mildly Military
- Mummies At the Dinner Table
- Pay Evil Unto Evil
- Prophecy Twist - Read them "on a slant".
- Rapunzel Hair - Jenna strangles people with hers.
- Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
- Sequel Gap: The One-Armed Queen
- True Companions - Jenna and Skada's band before it develops into an army
- What Measure Is a Mook? - Jenna has several moments like this
- Women Are Wiser
- You Can't Fight Fate