Greg Ayres is an American voice actor best-known for voicing anime characters. Ayres started out as a fanboy of anime who was mentioned to ADV film directors.
With his constantly color-changing hair, this VA has attended more than one hundred and twenty anime conventions as a guest, and countless others as a fan. However, in February 2009, Greg suffered a mild heart attack while attending Ikki Con in Austin, Texas, which some have attributed to his near non-stop schedule. Greg Ayres is recognized not only for his dub work in popular anime, but also for his multi-talented and charismatic personality at anime conventions. Occasionally his surname is listed as Ayers instead of Ayres, however this spelling is incorrect as his legal name is "Gregory Ayres".
At most conventions he typically holds a panel on why fansubs hurt the anime industry. He is also known for being a DJ at dances and raves that conventions host.
Greg has enjoyed playing Kaworu Nagisa from Neon Genesis Evangelion and has said that he is one of his favorite characters.
Chris Ayres, his brother, is also a voice actor/director.
Due to distinctive high-pitch voice (which is unusual for a man in his 40s), he is often casted into young boys, often either ButtMonkeys, cute little boys, or a Kid Hero. In fact, his pitch is high enough to voice young boys that can be as young as 8-years-old.
Notable roles from Greg Ayres:
- Air Gear - Onigiri
- Angel Beats - Ayato Naoi
- Baka and Test Summon The Beasts - Kouta Tsuchiya
- Beck - Yukio 'Koyuki' Tanaka
- Chrono Crusade - Chrono
- Clannad - Youhei Sunohara
- Deadman Wonderland - Ganta Igarashi
- D.N.Angel - Satoshi Hiwatari
- Dragon Ball Kai - Guldo
- ef ~ a tale of memories - Hiro Hirono
- Fairy Tail - Sho
- Fullmetal Alchemist - Bido
- Full Metal Panic! - Shinji Kazama
- Kanon (2006 series) - Jun Kitagawa
- Kodocha - Tsuyoshi
- Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok - Heimdall
- Negima! - Negi Springfield
- Nanaka 6/17 - Yoshida
- Neon Genesis Evangelion - Kaworu Nagisa (Directors Cut)/Kensuke Aida (Rebuild of Evangelion)
- Nerima Daikon Brothers - Hideki
- Oh! Edo Rocket - Seikichi Tamaya
- One Piece - Cabaji the Acrobat
- Ookiku Furikabutte - Takaya Abe
- Ouran High School Host Club - Kaoru Hitachiin
- Prétear - Mannen
- Saiyuki - Son Goku
- Sengoku Basara - Uesugi Kenshin
- Sora no Otoshimono - Tomoki Sakurai
- Speed Grapher - Tsujido
- Spiral - Kousuke Asazuki
- Super Gals - Yuya Asou
- Tears to Tiara- Rathy
- Trinity Blood - Alessandro XVIII
- Welcome to The NHK - Kaoru Yamazaki
- Xenosaga: The Animation - Gaignun Kukai, Jr.
Tropes Associated With Greg Ayres:
- Ascended Fanboy
- Cross-Dressing Voices: Averted. His high-pitch allows him to voice young boys as young as 8-years-old. In fact, some of the young boy roles he gets are voiced by a woman in the Japanese dub.
- But played straight with Rathy. Although to be fair, the director and even himself mistakes Rathy as a boy.
- Digital Piracy and Fansubs is Evil: something he kinda stressed in every panel, to the point of using a steamroller to destroy bootlegs.
- Dye Hard: Does this in every convention.
- Everything Is Big in Texas
- Game-Breaking Injury: In his youth, Greg was badly assaulted, and suffered considerable injuries to his mouth and jaw. He needed bridgework and other dental procedures to correct the issues...which over time have deteriorated and recently fallen out. A donation drive was set up to raise the ten thousand dollars needed for surgery.
- The money was raised in less than two weeks.
- Older Than They Look: Looking at the picture, you'd expect him to probably be somewhere in his 20s. This guy is in his early 40s.
- One of Us
- Pigeonholed Voice Actor: As mentioned, because of his unusual high-pitch voice for a man, he is often cast as young boys.
- Smoking Is Cool: Averted. He did used to smoke, but due to fan pressure and concerns of his health, he decided to quit smoking.