|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
|This page needs visual enhancement.|
You can help All The Tropes by finding a high-quality image or video to illustrate the topic of this page.
You hate him. But oh my God he just looks oh-so hot. He makes fun of you, is an absolute jerk and there is no one else on the planet you hate more. But still, he looks gorgeous... doesn't he?
But no! You hate him despite all that hotness because he hates you too... or does he?
And there you have the Handsome Devil. The guy you love to hate or hate to love. Sometimes, it's even both.
The Handsome Devil is often someone the main character/female protagonist hates for her own reasons. Every other girl is often in love with him. Symptoms of being a handsome devil include being good-looking, rich and a jerk. Often a playboy. May or may not have a relationship gone wrong with the main protagonist's best friend.
- Vegeta to Bulma, full stop. The story, being an action comic, skips their romance and gets straight to their Messianic son, but that only fueled a million fangirls worldwide to write fanfics of "the three lost years."
- Read some Shojo romance manga. The hero will most likely be this, a handsome asshole. Most notable are:
- Kyou Koi Wo Hajimemasu has Kyouta, who is this to a T, at least for a while, anyway.
- Moe Kare has the Perverted Prince aka Arata.
- Shou from Skip Beat! is an unusual example for shojo because the heroine dumps him in the first chapter and he ends up as her main rival rather than her love interest.
- Ryoki from Hot Gimmick.
- Takeru from Akuma de Sourou.
- Any lead by Mayu Shinjo, with Hakuron from Haou Airen as the biggest example.
- Many stories on Fictionpress follow this trope.
- While Seto Kaiba is not an example of this in canon, any romance-oriented fanfic he appears in will turn him into this.
- Mr. Darcy in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice appears like this to Elizabeth Bennett at first.
- Kalona from the House of Night book series.
- Handsome Devil. Synonyms: Ian Kabra.
- Irial from Wicked Lovely. Hottest Dark King ever.
- James Steerforth from David Copperfield.
- Duke Crocker of Haven. Also being a Magnificent Bastard makes him even more irresistible.
- The synopsis of Taiwanese drama, Devil Beside You pretty much fits this trope exactly.
- It was actually based on Akuma de Sorou, already mentioned in the manga section.
- Henry from Frenemies.
- You could probably stick Chad Dylan Cooper from Sonny With a Chance on this page as the trope picture.
- Chuck Bass.
- The Mentalist himself is a little like this, although he's a pretty benevolent version.
- Goo Jun Pyo, the leader of F-4 from the Korean Series Boys Before Flowers. Then again, he is based on Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango.
- How have we gotten this far and not mentioned Ares? Officially the sexiest, baddest God of War ever.
- Damon Salvatore.
- Invoked in a Cheer Up Charlie Daniels song.
- "They say that he ain't got a soul/ He'll make your knees lose full control"
- Has no Connection to That Handsome Devil
- Though arguably does to Godforbid and every girl he's ever spoken to, ever. See Dating Tips.
- The Smiths actually did a song called "Handsome Devil"
- After abusing plastic surgery, Peter Griffin of Family Guy becomes an even huger Jerkass than he already was, and Lois was willing to accommodate him (at least initially) because he was so attractive.
- Justin on Total Drama Action. Of course the point of the show is that every character represents a Trope.
- Season 3 brings us Alejandro who is an even better example of this trope.