The show focused on Jonathan Hart (Robert Wagner), a rich CEO, and his wife Jennifer (Stefanie Powers), a freelance journalist. In their spare time, the two pair up as amateur detectives, with some help from their butler Max. Each episode focused on a crime that they were currently trying to solve. Most of the cases they worked on dealt with murder, robbery, kidnapping, and espionage.
After five seasons on the air, the show was canceled due to low ratings in the last season. In 1993, the cast reunited to make eight made for TV movies.
- Amateur Sleuth: Jonathan and Jennifer
- Happily Married
- Idle Rich: They are when they aren't solving crimes.
- Made for TV Movie: Eight of them.
- Mystery Magnet
- Mystery of the Week
- One-Hour Work Week: Though Jonathan is the CEO of a very large company, he seems to spend plenty of time solving crimes.
- Pretty in Mink
- Stalker with a Crush: A recurring plot point. Either Jonathan and Jennifer would attract one of these.