|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Hi And Lois is an American newspaper comic begun in 1954. It centralizes on Hiram and Lois Flagston, a suburban family with several children: Chip, Dot, Ditto and Trixie. It was first written by Beetle Bailey creator Mort Walker and drawn by Dik Browne; following Dik's death in 1989, his son, Chance, took over drawing, with Mort's sons Brian and Greg taking over on writing.
- Aerith and Bob: Their names aren't that far-fetched, save for "Ditto."
- Comic Book Time: Chip started out as an eight-year-old, but has been a teenager for quite some time. Dot and Ditto have aged slightly as well.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: This strip from September 28, 1971.
- Honest John's Dealership: Lois is usually a decent, honest woman. But in her profession as a real estate saleswoman, she stretches the truth as much as anyone else in the business.
- Hot Mom: Lois. Surely breasts that round and pert are unusual on most suburban housewives.
- Imaginary Friend: Subverted with Trixie, who has long, reflected conversations with The Sunbeam. Not a Sunbeam. The Sunbeam.
- Long Runner: Started in 1954 and hasn't stopped.
- Long Runner Tech Marches On
- Meaningful Name: Hi and Lois ("high and low"); oldest son Chip ("chip off the old block"); younger children Dot and Ditto (twins - "ditto" means "copy of"); Trixie ("full of tricks")
- Name and Name
- Spin-Off: The Flagstons first appeared in Beetle Bailey. Lois is Beetle's sister.
- Theme Twin Naming: Don't twins have enough identity issues without being named "Ditto"?