|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
That's me, Jake Foley. I'm in tech support, security clearance: low. Very low. Then one day, it all changed. Now I can do things I'd never dreamed of; I've been upgraded. I have these powers... life just got real interesting.
Jake 2.0 was an American science fiction television series originally broadcast on UPN in 2003. The program was canceled in mid-January 2004 due to low ratings, leaving four episodes unaired in the United States. In the United Kingdom, however, all the episodes were played out on Sky One. The series is currently being aired on HDnet on Thursdays at 10:00pm EST and has aired internationally. It also began airing on The Sci Fi Channel on January 5, 2007.
The series revolved around a computer expert, Jake Foley, who works for the U.S. government's National Security Agency (NSA) and was accidentally infected by nanobots which give him superhuman powers. He is able to control technology with his brain, making him "the ultimate human upgrade" according to the show's introduction.
The series provides examples of:
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Jake's brother, Jerry.
- Brainy Brunette: Diane
- Career Killers: The Junshi assassins from "Upgrade".
- The Clan: The Junshi again.
- Chekhov's Gun: About once every other episode.
- Depraved Bisexual: DuMont
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Jake loses the security deposit for his new apartment to this trope.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Jake, who prefers to punch people into walls.
- Everything Is Online
- Eye Scream: Retinal scanners do not work that way!
- Hollywood Nerd: Jake, Diane. Nearly every guest star in "The Good, the Bad, and the Geeky."
- Hot Scientist: Diane
- Murder, Inc.: The Junshi Clan.
- Nanomachines: Of the improbably fantastic variety.
- Outrun the Fireball: Averted, in that while Jake tries to outrun a fireball, he fails (despite his nanobot enhancements) and gets engulfed and badly burned. He spends the most of the rest of the episode in an intensive care bed unable to move or communicate normally.
- Paintball Episode: Joining his old friends at a wedding, Jake takes part in the groom's paintball game. He exploits his nanobots, but only against two opposing (and obnoxious) players that thought he'd be an easy mark.
- Put on a Bus: Jake's roommate from the pilot is vaguely mentioned to have been moved out of the country.
- Room Full of Crazy: Room 214, though it's all in Jake's head.
- Shout-Out: To The Six Million Dollar Man, Casablanca
- Spiritual Ancestor: To Chuck.
- Super Senses: Jake, due to the nanobots.
- Technopath: Jake
- Took a Level In Badass: The nanobots augment Jake's physical strength among other features. In "Upgrade," Jake manages to take the nanobots even further - making him strong enough to go toe-to-toe with a trained assassin.
- Triang Relations: Established well before the end of the second episode.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Diane and Jake.