|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
This ongoing fantasy written by Faith Hunter features the strong and sexy Jane Yellowrock, the last of her kind, a skinwalker of Cherokee descent who can turn into any creature she desires and hunts vampires for a living. Back from hiatus, she’s hired by Katherine Fontaneau, one of the oldest vampires in New Orleans and the madam of Katie’s Ladies, to hunt a powerful rogue vampire who’s killing other vamps in which she gets caught up in the vampiric politics which cascades her into a series of unwanted adventures. This is a series of Urban Fantasy novels that are half romance, half Transformation Comic. The series was written by Faith Hunter, it is on going and recently had a new book published.
So far there are four published books in the series:
- Blood Cross
- Mercy Blade
- Raven Cursed
Provides the following tropes:
- Domino Revelation: Well we have vampires, shifters, and witches...so all other things are probably real too!
- Last of Her Kind
- Magical Native American: Jane Yellowrock herself.
- Our Vampires Are Different: As opposed to most vampire stories, these guys go all beast-like and kill with out indiscretion until they are tamed after a few years..sometimes a few decades or centuries to make them less beast and more human.
- Skin Walker: Jane is a good kind, not based on the skin-thievery of legend.
- Shapeshifting: The whole superpower Jane has.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: She can't assume larger forms with out stealing mass and can't take smaller forms with out storing it.
- Shapeshifter Showdown: She ends up fighting a another skinwalker who has taken on the traits of a vampire in addition to animal traits.
- The Big Easy: The setting for the first two books.
- Totally Not a Werecat
- Vampire Hunter: Her job is often to hunt down and kill Vampires.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Jane can change at will with only a little concentration.
- Wild Wilderness: A slight aversion of this troupe, Jane has some recollection of her past and the fact that she was undiscovered in cat form for a long while.
- Unstable Genetic Code: She is a skinwalker who must study the DNA of other creatures via meditation in order to copy their forms.
- Urban Fantasy: True to form, its a modern day adventure of the paranormal.