|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Killers is an American Rom Com directed by Robert Luketic and starring Katherine Heigl and Ashton Kutcher. Kutcher plays Spencer, a professional assassin working for the U.S. government who quits his job after a chance encounter with Jen (Katherine Heigl), with whom he quickly falls in love and whom he eventually marries.
Three years later, however, his idyllic life is shattered when his old boss is murdered, and undercover assassins come after him for the $20 million bounty on his head. Unfortunately for him, Jen catches Spencer dealing with one of them. And they're his neighbors. And Jen's just discovered she's pregnant.
This film contains examples of:
- The Ace: Spencer.
- Action Girl: Jen evolves into this, in a wholesome, 1950s, trust circle kind of way.
- Actor Allusion: Um, sort of. Tom Selleck is known for his epic mustache, which is referenced a couple times in a quite humorous fashion.
- Affably Evil / Faux Affably Evil: Many of the assassins come off as this, but seeing as this is a Rom Com, it's mostly just Played for Laughs.
- A-Team Firing: For professional hitmen carrying automatic weapons, Spencer's neighbors sure do suck at their jobs.
- Badass: Spencer.
- Bottomless Magazines: Averted in dialogue, not in practice.
- But We Used a Condom: Subverted. Spencer protests that she was on The Pill but Jen explains that the antibiotic she took at the time canceled out The Pill. Oops.
- The Cameo: Usher as a store employee.
- Car Fu
- Carnival of Killers: And that's putting it mildly. Hell, even Spencer Lampshades it:
Spencer: (as yet another neighbor attempts to kill him) Is there anyone NOT trying to kill me today?!
- Chandler's Law: To the extreme. Whenever the action gets boring, yet another gun-toting neighbor hops in to spice it up.
- Click Hello: Subverted. Jen tries this on a woman who's strangling Spencer, but she doesn't even react to her and continues choking him. Jen angrily pulls the trigger, but the magazine falls out.
- Dueling Movies: Killers came out around the same times as Knight and Day, which has a similar plot of an agent falling for a clueless civilian blonde girl.
- Fan Service: The film is very aware of its gorgeous lead actors, so there were a couple of scenes with shirtless Ashton Kutcher and Katherine Heigl.
- Falling Chandelier of Doom: More of an antler decoration than a chandelier, but the effect is the same.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Spencer.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Vivian (known on this page as "the woman in the office")
- Men Are the Expendable Gender: Surprisingly averted - fully half the assassins are female and they go through exactly the same punishment as their male counterparts.
- Mood Whiplash: Happens a few times, usually after one of the assassins hired to kill Spencer dies. Sure, they were pretending to be their friends, but some of the deaths are rather brutal such as how the woman in the office is dispatched or Jen's friend, for that matter.
- Not Screened for Critics:
- Pants-Positive Safety: Seems like all the people carry their guns in their pants-waistband. Lampshaded by Spencer, when he points out that Jen's gun is showing, prompting her to comment on its size.
- Playing Against Type: Ashton Kutcher as an action hero.
- Police Are Useless: Even though no one calls 911, the police never show up despite all the gunfire and Car Fu.
- Precision F-Strike: Jen has one in the "trust circle". It even catches Spencer off-guard.
- Ready for Lovemaking: Jen does this. Nothing comes out of it.
- Resignations Not Accepted: Spencer's agency.
- Running Gag: Oddly enough, Jen's mother's excessive drinking. Definitely Crosses the Line Twice but it depends on the viewer if it counts as Dude, Not Funny.
- Uncomfortable Elevator Moment: Jen meets Spencer for the first time when he enters her elevator, shirtless.
- Zip Me Up: Jen's zipper gets stuck, so Spencer cuts up the dress with his knife.