|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Lance Storm (real name Lance Evers) is a professional wrestler best known for his time in ECW, WCW, and WWE. He started training alongside fellow Canadian wrestler Chris Jericho, with whom he would team with and occasionally feud with off an on around the world. After a brief tenure in Smokey Mountain Wrestling they went their separate ways (though both ended up in the same promotions, it was never at the same time till 2002).
Lance Storm found success in ECW tagging with Chris Candido and later forming the Impact Players with Justin Credible, with the beautiful Dawn Marie by their side. Eventually he left for WCW, where he is best known for holding the United States, Cruiserweight, and Hardcore Championships at once (though only for a week before vacating the latter two).
Lance later started working for the WWE when they purchased WCW in 2001, being the first WCW wrestler to win a WWE Title. He was fairly successful in the WWE, winning several mid-card titles and forming a successful Foreign Wrestling Heel Tag Team with Christian, who won the Tag Team Championship from Edge and Hulk Hogan, of all people. He also had a similar run with William Regal as his partner. Eventually he retired from full time in-ring action to become a trainer, first for the WWE's developmental program before creating his own school, the Storm Wrestling Academy, in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. He is also a regular guest on Figure Four Daily with Bryan Alvarez.
Tropes associated with Lance Storm include:
- Book Ends: His first and last match of his full-time career were both against Chris Jericho.
- Breakup Breakout: The Marty Janetty to Chris Jericho, arguably the Shawn Michaels to Justin Credible, whose main event ECW run is overshadowed by Lance's mid-card WCW run.
- Canada, Eh?
- Catch Phrase: "If I can be serious for a moment..."
- "and that's from Calgary, Alberta, Canada!"
- The Comically Serious
- Deadpan Snarker: You'll see a lot of this on the Q&As of his website.
Q: What is the most difficult thing you have ever tried to do in the ring?
- In fact, when someone asked him if he would mind being referred to as "The Soup Nazi, but for wrestling questions," he replied "Not in the least." If you send the man a question and he thinks it's stupid, he won't mince words.
- Do Not Call Me Paul: He really doesn't like fans using his real last name.
- Foreign Wrestling Heel: As part of the UnAmericans. "America Sucks," indeed.
- Fun with Acronyms: Saskatchewan Hardcore Invitational Title.
- Gag Penis
- Gone Horribly Right: When Stone Cold Steve Austin called Lance boring, it just killed Lance's heat.
- Hidden Depths: While Lance was always billed as The Stoic, any shoot interview with him reveals he's a pretty good Deadpan Snarker and actually pretty funny when telling stories.
- Meaningful Rename: In WCW, renamed the United States Heavyweight Title to Canadian Heavyweight Title, the Hardcore Title to Saskatchewan Hardcore Invitational Title, and the Cruiserweight Title to The 100kg and Under Title.
- One of Us: As seen on his blog after his retirement, Lance Storm is a smark of the highest order.
- Shout-Out: The Impact Players name was a reference to Sudden Impact, the name for Jericho and Lance in Japan. Their victory pose was lifted directly from the Shawn Michaels / Diesel and D Generation X victory pose (Justin Credible was linked to The Kliq).
- Still Got It: After retiring, when he came back to wrestle Bryan Danielson (considered by many to be probably the best wrestler in the world) and showed he could keep up with him for 30 minutes straight and nearly beat him, he received a huge chant of this from the Ring of Honor fans (along with chants of "Thank You Lance!" and "Please Come Back!").
- Six years later, he made another appearance in ROH to face Mike Bennett, which was almost as well received. Lance might not wrestle very often anymore, but he make sure it's worth it when he does.
- The Stoic: Almost never smiles. This extends to his personal life too.
- Ten-Minute Retirement: Originally intended to retire following a match against Jericho at ECW One Night Stand. He's since wrestled a few matches since his supposed retirement, but these matches almost always involve other close friends of his such as Bryan Alvarez, Christian, and ECW alumni. One notable exception was a match against Bryan Danielson at Ring of Honor.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Cracker Barrel. He actually carries around a map showing every Cracker Barrel location when he travels to the U.S.
- Too Many Belts: Held three titles at once in WCW.
- Underwear of Power
- Unrelated Brothers: According to Lance Storm, the Hardy Boys, The Steiner Brothers, The Usos and the Mcmahons are not really related. The only real siblings in professional wrestling are him and Victoria.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Chris Jericho. While he credits Jericho for keeping him in the business, he would also shoot down any of Chris's lame ideas for ring names, finishers, etc. with brutal honestly.
- Wearing A Flag On Your Tights: Before switching to the aforementioned Underwear of Power, his tights were in red and white Canadian colors.
- X Meets Y: Style is a blend of Bret Hart-esque mat and submission wrestling and high flying similar to a young Shawn Michaels. He's even used both of their finishers (Sharpshooter and Superkick) at various points of his career.