|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
- The Legacy of Kain series has plenty, but one that stands out for this troper is an otherwise throwaway encounter in Defiance. Raziel runs into a group of vampire hunters, one of whom spots him and yells, "Monster!" Another of the hunters turns, and asks "Where?" Cue Raziel jumping into the frame, looking as pissed as ever with the Soul Reaver manifested, answering, "Here."
- This troper is very fond of the scene from the very ending of Defiance where Raziel shows Moebius that he's been worshipping a Lovecraftian Horror all along.
Raziel: Do you see it now? The monster that you served? Is this what you imagined when you worshipped it?
- And right after that, when Raziel allows himself to be absorbed into the Reaver, truly restoring Kain as the Scion of Balance.
Raziel: The Soul Reaver - pure of all corruption - this is what it is for. This is what I am for. The two become one - both Soul Reavers - together - and the Scion of Balance is healed. And I - am not your enemy - not your destroyer - I am, as before, your right hand. Your sword. And now you will see - the true enemy...
- Kain's final confrontation with Moebius at the end of Blood Omen.
Moebius: Aye - you have seen my plan, vampire, as I have seen your destiny: the future says you die!
- Any moment in Defiance when Kain uses telekinesis, from hurling an archer off a balcony into a spiked wall fixture to torturing Moebius at the end of the third level.
- Kain's second final confrontation with Moebius in Defiance always makes this troper grin with delight.
Moebius: ...the Hylden are merely an inconvenient consequence. They will be dealt with in time. It's a small price to pay for Kain's death.
- And all the while he has a grin on his face. The only time in the entire series that Kain is smiling. And it is magnificent.
- The moment immediately after that in the astral plane, as the soul of Moebius picks himself up off the floor, Raziel is right behind him, Soul reaver drawn. "OH, SNAP!" And the look on Moebius' face when Raziel runs Moebius through with the spectral Soul Reaver, revealing to Moebius for the first time the true face of the god he had served for centuries is priceless.
- The moment in Soul Reaver when Raziel first finds the tomb of the Sarafan lieutenants, including himself.
- Almost any scene between Raziel and Kain is a dialogue triumph, but the final confrontation of Soul Reaver, recreated with stunning graphics in the opening FMV of Soul Reaver 2, is endlessly memorable.
- The scene with them at the uncorrupted Pillars of Nosgoth, too, is probably one of the best moments of the entire series.
- This Troper (Draken) has a CMOA of the Soul Reaver game (Sorta a Tale, but it seems to fit more here). He decided upon throwing a spear at a crow early in the game, but found they can't be harmed. Oh well. Later, he gets to a temple sorta place after finding the Lake of the Dead, and happens upon....an enemy vampire impaled by the very spear he threw earlier.
- Kain battling the freakin' ELDER GOD and kicking It's ass! Seriously, can anything measure up to that, short of actually killing it?
- The dialogue beforehand:
The Elder God: You may ponder the futility of your ambitions as you spend a deathless eternity beneath a mountain of rubble. You and your Soul Reaver will go equally mad as the eons pass: the Citadel of the Apostates will become your living tomb.
- I want to point out something which is rather subtle which just cranks that moment Up to Eleven: The Elder has existed for an undisclosed period of time, possibly since the world began. In that time, there is no telling how many races have worshiped it and tried to destroy it. For all we know, the Hylden and Ancient Vampires could have just been the latest in a long line. And yet, it remains completely unharmed... Until Kain gets hold of the purified Soul Reaver, and slices through its flesh like as much hot butter.
- Crowning Music of Awesome: Ozar Midrashim.
- The paradox scene in Soul Reaver 2, when Kain calls out to Raziel to fight fate's impulse, ending with the aversion of You Can't Fight Fate by sparing him, changing the entirety of history from that point in one move.
- The climax of Blood Omen 2 despite being a Disappointing Last Level has a particularly badass moment for Kain. When the Sarafan Lord is threatening him with the Soul Reaver at the gateway to the demon dimension, with Kain only protected from its devastating power by the Nexus Stone the Sarafan Lord tells Kain that while he is currently protected, he can't defeat him without sacrificing that protection. He then starts some textbook Evil Gloating about how they are at a stalemate, which he is sure to win eventually because he has all the time in the world, only for Kain to reply "But I haven't yet made my choice", before throwing the Nexus Stone into the gateway and destroying his enemies plans, deliberately making himself vulnerable to the most powerful weapon in the known world. Kain may have doomed Nosgoth with his selfish, ego-centric decision to rule it rather than heal it, (or so he believes at the time) but he is definitely not a coward.