|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Manchester Lost by JAMoczo is a very funny Good Omens Crack Fic / Action Adventure / (non-explicit) Slash Fic in which Aziraphale is captured by Hell and Crowley, War and the Archangel Michael (on a Mission From God) break in to save him and set off a second apocalypse. It introduces entertaining characterizations of other angels such as Michael, Raphael (Aziraphale's adopted father), Gabriel, and Uriel. It's a self parodying Affectionate Parody with many interesting twists and turns along the way.
It is technically a sequel to How Crowley Fell Out of Love with the Bentley (which is a sequel to Good Omens). Manchester Lost has a sequel itself, which is complete: Paradise Thwarted. Now Paradise Thwarted has its own page too!
Warning: Spoilers ahead!
This fanfic contains examples of:
- Accidental Marriage - Aziraphale's last name has technically been 'Crowley' for the past 500 years or so; they both thought that the other had arranged the divorce.
- Action Girl - Sister Prudence
- Aerith and Bob - Names of angels and demons varies from Aziraphale, Crowley, Beezlebub and Steve.
- All of the Other Reindeer - Young Aziraphale. He was a bit of a nerd.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents - Raphael
- Archangel Gabriel - Surrounded by Idiots
- Archangel Michael - At least someone is having fun.
- Author Appeal - anime, music, RPGs, etc.
- Authority Equals Asskicking - Lucifer
- Axe Crazy - Uriel
- Back From the Dead - Aziraphale and Crowley
- Back-to-Back Badasses - Gabriel and Michael, Michael and War briefly.
- Bad Boss - God and Lucifer. God gets a Pet the Dog moment / becomes a Benevolent Boss at the end.
- Badass Family
- Badass Normal - Sister Prudence
- Basement Dweller - Brian
- The Berserker - Michael, War, Moloch
- Beware the Nice Ones - One of Hell's very few rules
- Big Damn Heroes - Many moments, often subverted.
- Bond Villain Stupidity - Lucifer
- Chekhov's Gun - the chocolate muffin Rafael tucks away after the Archangels visit the diner in chapter 8 resurfaces when he shoves it in Uriel's mouth after the latter attempts to smite Zira in chapter 15. May double as a Brick Joke or a Chekhov's Gag depending on the reader's sense of humor.
Uriel: I can't believe you just killed Lucifer!
- Cold-Blooded Torture - It wouldn't be Hell without it.
- Color Coded for Your Convenience - Demons tend to have darker wings in this ficverse.
- Colossus Climb
- Cool and Unusual Punishment - "Now that's just overkill."
- Crack Fic - Part of the charm.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass - Uriel
- Crowd Song - Don't Stop Believin', which the angels use to defeat Satan.
- Cute and Psycho: War.
- Daddy's Girl - Jesus and War.
- Darkest Hour
- Deadpan Snarker - Crowley, Gabriel
- Deus Ex Machina
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu? - Crowley punched Lucifer - In the FACE!!!
- Divided We Fall
- Does Not Understand Sarcasm - Raphael
- Dream Sequence - Crowley's hallucinations.
- Elmuh Fudd Syndwome: Anethema and Newton's three-year-old twins, Aziraphale and Bentley.
- Emergency Transformation - for Aziraphale and Crowley at the end
- Everyone Went to School Together
- Evil Makeover - Aziraphale/Zira
- Fallen Hero - subverted with Aziraphale, see What You Are in the Dark
- Fan Girl: Uriel is Gabriel's fangirl. Yes, Uriel is male.
- Faustian Rebellion
- Faux Affably Evil - Lucifer
- Fire-Forged Friends - Crowley, Michael, and War.
- Five-Man Band / The Squad:
- The Hero - Aziraphale, Adam, Michael (at least he thinks he is), Crowley (in the To Hell and Back arc)
- The Lancer - Crowley, Gabriel, Zira, Foil characters flip positions, dies for the cause
- The Big Guy - Michael, Uriel, War, Sister Prudence
- The Smart Guy - Raphael, Aziraphale, Crowley (resident expert in the To Hell and Back arc), Gabriel, Anathema, Newt, and their kids.
- The Chick / The Heart - Raphael, Aziraphale, Jesus, most human characters
- The Sixth Ranger - Crowley to the pre-established warrior angels "family"�.
- The Medic - Raphael
- The Mentor - Raphael
- Tagalong Kid - Skuzz
- Plucky Comic Relief - Aziraphale, Uriel
- Flanderization: Crowley and Aziraphale's respective Good Angel, Bad Angels are basically Flanderized versions of the characters they represent.
- Foe-Tossing Charge - Through Hell, then through Manchester.
- Foe Yay - Michael and Lucifer. See Has Two Daddies below.
- A Friend in Need
- Glowing Eyes of Doom
- Good Angel, Bad Angel - Crowley has Inner Aziraphale and Inner Hastur, Aziraphale has Inner Raphael and Inner Crowley.
- Good Is Not Nice
Raphael to Lucifer: "And I know you have a very strong fondness for... er... sharp, pointy things, and so help me Light-Bringer but if you don't let me keep this child I will mount your immortal head on one of those sharp pointy things outside my office as a reminder to everyone that even though I am the Healer I am not a pansy!"
- Then there's Uriel's Righteous Smiting. He cares not who the sinner is, or was, or who might care about him/her.
- Happy Place
- Has Two Daddies - War
- He Is Not My Boyfriend / Transparent Closet
- The mood lightener after Aziraphale's torture; Crowley feels the need to remind War "He is not my mate!"
- Here We Go Again -
Bikers of the ApocalyseWarrior Angels of the Apocalyse and Skuzz
- Heroic BSOD - Aziraphale for a while during and after being tortured and going to his "Happy Place." Crowley after Aziraphale/Zira dies.
- Heroic Sacrifice - Aziraphale/Zira
- Hero Stole My Bike - When the Four Archangels "borrow" some motorcycles. "It’s not stealing if you’re On a Holy Mission."
- Hey, That's My Line! - "Ciao."
- Hippie Jesus: Jesus come in as a 'Southern Hippy'.
- I Shall Taunt You / Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?
- I Want Grandkids - "Run!"
- Idiot Ball - Now Zira, you promise you won't try and escape?
- Ignored Enemy
- I'm Standing Right Here
- Insult Backfire
- Irritation Is the Sincerest Form of Flattery - No, Michael isn't taking fashion tips from Crowley, not at all.
- Kill It with Fire - There's Hellfire, and then there's Sister Prudence's Blessed Napalm.
- Knight Templar - The Order of Our Most Holy Lady of the Righteous Smiting
- Lampshade Hanging - Lots; it's a lot of Snark and Self-Parody
- Large Ham
Michael: Wait, it needs something. Wait, I know - ambiance!
- Lawful Stupid Chaotic Stupid - Raphael (Stupid Good), most of the angels (Lawful Stupid), Moloch most of the demons (Stupid Evil)
- Locked in a Freezer
- Man On Fire / Incendiary Exponent - Zira kills Beelzebub while lit on holy fire, much to Michael's pride and jealousy that he died so awesomely
- Mars Needs Women - how do angels reproduce anyway?
- Messenger - Gabriel is THE Messenger
- Meta Guy - Brian
- Mission From God
- Mood Whiplash: One scene has some characters battle Lucifer, and one of them becomes exhausted and fall down. The gripping suspense is somewhat broken as the author inserts the following note:
His face looked like this: X_X
- More Hero Than Thou
- Musical Episode
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Nice job opening a portal that connects Hell and Earth that can't be closed, dumbass.
- No Social Skills - Those entities that haven't been on Earth for very long aren't aware of appropriate human behavior.
- Noodle Incident - Death owes the Antichrist a favor for never mentioning this one incident. It involved two kittens, thirteen girl scouts, an ice cream cone, a goat and six pairs of socks.
- Ominous Latin Chanting - The song playing in the background when Uriel destroys Mammon
- One-Winged Angel - Lucifer, it gets a Lampshade Hanging
- Open-Minded Parent - Raphael again.
- Opposite Day - er... Bizarro book of prophecies
- Otaku - Brian
- Papa Wolf - Raphael
- Poke the Poodle - Zira's "insults."
- Psycho for Hire - War
- Rousing Speech
- Rule of Cool
- Rule of Funny
- Running Gag - There is only one response, be you demon, nun, Jesus, or Satan to the question "Would you like some tea?"
- Samuel L. Jackson - Beelzebub's human form. Because Samuel L Jackson is badass.
- Samus Is a Girl - and so is Jesus
- Screw Destiny - God doesn't want the Apocalypse stopped this time. Aziraphale doesn't care.
- Carried over from the original book, Adam Young may be The Antichrist, but that doesn't mean he wants to destroy the world.
- Second Law of Gender Bending - Jesus decides to stay female.
- Shout-Out - Turtle Power!
- Stock British Phrases - Inner Aziraphale uses these quite liberally.
- Straw Feminist - Pepper
- Strapped to An Operating Table
- Take That - Crowley's hallucinations are a mockery of badfic.
- Ted Baxter - Agostino Nutter, Michael
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork
- The Dragon - A real dragon and Beelzebub, both for Lucifer.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You - Michael and Lucifer to each other; Gabriel to Michael
- Theme Music Power-Up
- They Do
- Third Line, Some Waiting - The Famine, Pollution, Newt, and Anathema subplot.
- Third Law of Gender Bending - PMS, meekness, and a tendency to cry were not part of the New Testament.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch
- Throw Away Town - Manchester; nobody misses it.
- To Hell and Back
- Too Much Information
- Trademark Favorite Food - Angels like chocolate
- Trap Door - "sauntering vaguely downwards" sounds so much better
- UST - gets out of it at the end
- Victorious Childhood Friend - Kireawel/Crowley in some respects, to Aziraphale.
- What Do You Mean Its Not Symbolic - Crowley is tied cruciform to a tree. It's very painful for a demon and causes hallucinations.
- What You Are in the Dark - Aziraphale/Zira after Falling does not change in his resolve to help save humanity.
- With Due Respect - Poor, poor Aziraphale.
- Your Mom - Used twice by Adam, both times on beings without mothers.
- Zen Survivor - Hell does not scare Aziraphale, he survived Auschwitz.