|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
X-Men vs. Street Fighter was a huge hit, and in 1997, Capcom followed it up with Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter.
The Marvel roster retained Wolverine and Cyclops (and brought back Omega Red from CotA) and was extended with Captain America, Spider-Man, Shuma-Gorath, The Incredible Hulk and Blackheart. The Street Fighter side was pretty much left alone, with the exceptions of Cammy and Charlie (who were replaced by Dan and Sakura). The game also featured a number of hidden character variants, such as U.S. Agent, Mephisto, an armored Spider-Man, and a Zangief that couldn't block but was never hit-stunned - as well as Shadow (the result of Charlie being subjected to horrific experiments by Bison; Shadow is often considered Fanon for Street Fighter itself). The Japanese version also had an exclusive original character: Norimaro, a Joke Character based on Japanese comedian Noritake Kinashi.
The gameplay remained mostly the same as the previous game in fact even using the same backgrounds only remixed. Theres also the addition of being able to call your partner in for an attack without switching out.
Apocalypse is still featured as a boss fight, but instead of fighting your partner after defeating him, the final fight is now against Cyber-Akuma, a version of Akuma who appears to have been somehow transported from this continuity's Age of Apocalypse timeline after having been turn into one of his Horsemen.
Followed in 1998 with Marvel vs. Capcom Clash of the Superheroes.
The game shows examples of:
- A God Am I:
- M. Bison. His ending has him using the same technology used in Cyber-Akuma to make Cyber-Charlie, and Bison orders him to destroy everything at will. Also, one of his winquotes:
"I shall rule all in this pathetic world!"
- Shuma-Gorath. His ending has him starting to multiply, taking the universe with him. There's also this winquote:
"I am the eye of the storm to come!"
- In tone with his character, Apocalypse:
"I alone prevail... You cannot stop me!"
- One of Blackheart's winquotes:
"I shall rule the universe with my power!"
- A Winner Is You: None of the secret characters get a proper ending, at least in the English version.
- Attract Mode
- Badass Boast:
Akuma: There is no good or evil, only Akuma.
"Kill... Destroy... That's all I know..."
Norimaro: I've only got a quarter! ...Sorry!
- But for Me It Was Tuesday: Omega Red's ending has him killing Ryu offscreen, and Ken is kneeling next to his corpse.
Ken: How many lives have you ended?
- Calling Your Attacks: You'd expect this with the Fighting Game characters, naturally. But it even extends to the Marvel Superheroes, among others.
- The Cameo: Many characters from both universes make appearances in the endings and stages.
- Combat Tentacles: The only plausible explanation as to how Shuma-Gorath made the cut over his antagonist, Doctor Strange.
- Combination Attack: Double Supers.
- Death From Above:
- Mephisto/Blackheart's Armageddon summons a meteor storm to the battlefield.
- The Hulk jumps into space, and essentially pulls a passing meteor from space to drop it on his opponent.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: Almost literally, with Shuma-Gorath.
- Dude, Where's My Respect?: Dan's pre-fight against Apocalypse:
Dan: I will put the big hurt on you!
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Zangief.
- Fire-Breathing Diner: Mecha Zangief had a move where he spewed blue fire.
- For Great Justice: Cap's quips in his winquotes.
- Genius Bruiser: The Hulk, where he's in the guise of the Merged Hulk/Professor persona. (remember, The Green Scar from Planet Hulk and World War Hulk had yet to be created at the time)
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Averted. Norimaro was supposed to have a "Kancho" throw in the Japanese port of the game, but when Marvel found out about it, it was promptly removed. More details here.
- Giant Space Flea From Nowhere: And then suddenly, Cyber Akuma!
- Hulk Speak: Guess who?
(Against Apocalypse) : Hulk hates Apocalypse! HULK SMASH!
- Parodied in one of his own winquotes:
"Hulk Smash! Smash! Smash! Only kidding..."
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha:
- Mecha-Zangief, a cybernetic version of Zangief. While not a proper Mecha, this version of Zangief couldn't flinch and took reduced damage from pretty much any attack. He could also use a fiery breath attack as Mech-Zangief, the Siberian Breath, similar to Dhalsim's Yoga Blast. The downside is his inability to block in this form.
- Cyber Akuma, (Mecha Gouki in Japan) a roboticized version created by Apocalypse, as the game's final boss. He's a more powerful and faster Akuma that possess the greatest attack and defense of any character in the game, and comes complete with mechanical wings and rocket punches.
- I Shall Taunt You: Dan, as always:
"Can you withstand the power of my Super Taunt?"
- Joke Character: Dan (natch) and Norimaro.
- Lethal Joke Character: Dan gets some of the biggest buffs in this game. These humilliating winquotes sum it all:
"Hah, you're weak! Just like me!"
- Kamehame Hadoken: The second part of the trope's name comes from the version of the Shinkuu Hadouken, which is the best known of many, MANY, MANY instances.
- Kick Chick: Chun-Li.
- Mad Libs Dialogue:
- Beat the game to get dialogue like this before the character endings: "We make a great team (insert name here)", "We shall meet again (insert name here)".
- It also has another form of it present via the Team Hyper finishes: winning a match with one combines their names together which is then displayed in a huge font. Works with most of them, although some of the time the end result is somewhere in the lines of "Shinkuu Miracle Treasure" or "Knee Press Star". Reaches its most ridiculous with Captain America and US Agent as a team, whose Team Hyper names combine into "Star Star".
- Subverted with the pre-fight quotes against Apocalypse, as every character has an unique one against him.
- The Man Behind the Man: Apocalypse, for Cyber-Akuma.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: Cyber Akuma, a cyborg version of an evil Blood Knight who is also a Badass, and a martial artist, how does that not count? Oh, and he has a freaking Arm Cannon as well as wings.
- Original Generation: Norimaro. To a much lesser extent, Cyber-Akuma could count as well, being a variant created only for their sole appearance.
- Paint It Black: Shadow, a roboticized version of Charlie.
- Palette Swap: Mephisto, U.S. Agent, and any other secret character not called Apocalypse or Cyber-Akuma.
- Panty Shot: Sakura, thanks to the magic of recycled Alpha sprites.
- Powered Armor: Apocalypse and Mecha-Zangief.
- Rocket Punch: Cyber-Akuma.
- Ryu and Ken: All 5 types: Ryu, Ken, Sakura, Akuma and Dan, all of them Shotoclones.
- Satan: Mephisto.
- Shotoclone: Aside from the 5 examples of Ryu and Ken above, Spider-Man, Captain America, and Cyclops qualify for this.
- Shout-Out: Check the page.
- SNK Boss: Cyber-Akuma.
- Stripperific: In the men's side, Hulk, Zangief and Dhalsim.
- Super-Powered Evil Side: Sunburned Sakura (What If Sakura chose to follow Akuma instead of Ryu?).
- Surprisingly Good English: All Marvel characters are voiced by native English speakers.
- Tag Team
- Take That:
- Capcom wasn't that happy for Street Fighter III, it seems:
Ken: You had no chance against me, but maybe Sean...?
"I'm not a clone! I'm the one and only!"
- And this winquote from Zangief:
"No one can compare to me. Not even a mayor!"
"HYPER COMBO FINISH!"
- The Unexpected: Shuma-Gorath. Omega Red as well, as he hadn't been featured since X Men Children of the Atom.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Again, the Hulk:
"Don't make me angry! You wouldn't like me..."
Mephisto: Now I tell you a truth. Your soul belongs to me.