Mayu Shinjo (新條まゆ Shinjō Mayu?, born January 26, 1973) is a Japanese manga artist. She debuted in 1994 in Shogakukan's Shōjo Comic with "Anata no Iro ni Somaritai". She continued writing for Shogakukan until 2007, with her works appearing in both Shōjo Comic and their other magazine Cheese!.
Mrs. Shinjo left the company to go freelance citing a dispute over working conditions and abusive treatment by her editor. How bad was that? In her blog, she noted that though she was the actual creator of her manga titles, she was one of the last to know about any adaptation plans for her series, even learning about some (like Sensual Phrase) through TV channel websites instead of her editor, and that was the least of the crap she was put through. When she decided to leave, one editor threatened to take all of her earlier series out of print, but Shinjo contacted a lawyer and the threat was never carried out.
Mrs. Shinjo's manga, as mentioned, qualify in the shoujo spectrum. She draws lots of bishonen, gives her male leads very sex-driven and forceful personalities and lots of snarky coments about everything, while making her female leads quite Hollywood Homely (until it's time to clean up) and in constant verge of being corrupted. Her stories tend to go for lots of emotional stuff, if not downright Melodrama, as well as being Hotter and Sexier than your average shoujo, featuring many sex scenes among her male and female leads.
Oh, and it looks like she's good friends with Tite Kubo, judging by their twitter exchanges. Be afraid. Be VERY, VERY afraid.
Some of her works include:
Tropes common across most of Mayu Shinjo's works:
- Abuse Is Okay When Its Female On Male: Inverted like holy hell.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: The reason most of her stories exist.
- All Men Are Perverts
- A Match Made in Stockholm: Their male and female leads
- Brooding Boy, Gentle Girl: What they're supposed to come across as.
- Author Appeal: Girls with big breasts, according to an interview.
- Bastard Boyfriend: Oooh boy, she's famous for this. They mostly tend to be Conflicted types: huge bastards to pretty much everyone, as well as having very Dark And Troubled Pasts.
- Blackmail: Someone's gonna get extortioned here.
- Bishonen: Everyone male, even the Hollywood Homely.
- Bishoujo: Same for her female characters.
- Break the Cutie: A given, especially in regards to the female characters.
- Corrupt the Cutie: Oh, my. It's even deliberately invoked in Haou Airen by Reilan. She doesn't live to see the results.
- Dull Surprise: Characters...don't emote well.
- Guilty Pleasures: Ahahahaha, oh wow. Her stories are full of Wangst, rape, idiot plots... but the artwork is so pretty! And the Melodrama, well, at times is absolutely hilarious instead of deep/touching/ragey/etc.
- Hotter and Sexier: More than the average shoujo. In fact it's almost a wonder that she managed to publish them in Sho-Comi.
- Karma Houdini: Most of the male leads never get their comeuppance, but their Bishonen looks, who can blame them?
- Never Trust Viz: Ai Ore Love Me was advertised by Viz as a wacky crossdressing romantic comedy, leaving out all the unconsentual overtones and Values Dissonance.
- No Export for You: There's a reason why Akuma na Eros, Love Celeb and Haou Airen will never get released in the US. Not like that's bad though...
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Chances are, someone will lose their memories at some point.
- Lighter and Softer: Ai Ore Love Me, enough so to get an official english release. It's still a fairly disturbing series.
- Also Ayakashi Koi Emaki, since Kagura is quite less of a Bastard Boyfriend than her usual male leads and Miko is pluckier than her average heroine.
- Love Martyr: Whenever the female leads fall for their boyfriends, expect this to happen. The exceptions are Miko from Ayakashi and, to a degree, Kirara from Love Celeb.
- Off-Model: Character's faces tend to look off when drawn from certain angles.
- Only Six Faces: Satan from Akuma na Eros is simply Sakuya from 'Sensual Phrase with longer hair and horns, and they both look like Hakuron from Haou Airen. Don't forget that Kurumi is basically Aine with Girlish Pigtails and Miu is Aine with a headband and a sailor uniform.
- Ordinary High School Student: The majority of her female leads start as this.
- Psycho Lesbian: One appears in Ai Ore Love Me and tries to rape Mizuki.
- Melodrama: The bread and butter of her stories.
- Rape Tropes, especially Rape Is Love: Hoo boy... Let's not get started.
- Stealth Parody: Some people suspect all of her works are this.
- OTOH, others think that Shinjo has realized that she can't really tell consistent stories and decided to just go along with it. especially now that she's freelance.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Her male leads tend to be this.
- Trauma Conga Line
- Trolling Creator: Seems obvious by now. It helps that she's friends with Tite Kubo.
- Villain Protagonist: The male leads, with all their rape and abuse, count count as this.
- Yandere / Crazy Jealous Guy: ... Need to ask?