|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
In the year 20XX AD, A vicious army of robots is bent on destroying the world!! And behind the destruction is...Protoman?!
Game number 5 in the Mega Man series for the NES. It was released in Japan in December of 1992, closely followed by a North American release. It has since seen numerous rereleases, including the Rockman Complete Works, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, Virtual Console, and PSN.
Proto Man sent several robots under his command to attack the city, and he went to Dr. Light's laboratory to kidnap him, leaving behind his signature yellow scarf behind. Dr. Cossack helps Mega Man in Light's absence by increasing the power of the Mega Buster to stop the robots, and creates the robotic bird Beat to assist him.
- DWN-033: Gravity Man, weak to Star Crash, gives Gravity Hold
- DWN-034: Wave Man, weak to Charge Kick, gives Water Wave
- DWN-035: Stone Man, weak to Napalm Bomb, gives Power Stone
- DWN-036: Gyro Man, weak to Gravity Hold, gives Gyro Attack
- DWN-037: Star Man, weak to Water Wave, gives Star Star Crash
- DWN-038: Charge Man, weak to Power Stone, gives the Charge Kick
- DWN-039: Napalm Man, weak to Crystal Eye, gives the Napalm Bomb
- DWN-040: Crystal Man, weak to Gyro Attack, gives the Crystal Eye
- Advancing Wall of Doom: The Rolling Drill enemies found in Napalm Man's stage. These move towards you from the right of the screen, and they are a One-Hit Kill if the drills touch you. Thankfully, you can destroy them before they do so.
- All Your Powers Combined: Dark Man V4, the Robot that framed Proto Man, possesses the abilities of the three previous Dark Men.
- Asteroids Monster: a Met variant exclusive to this game, the Metall Mommy.
- Collection Sidequest: In order to unlock Beat, who was introduced in this game, Mega Man must collect a plate found in each of the Robot Master levels, spelling out M E G A M A N 5 (although the last one is replaced by "V" for the US release).
- Dishing Out Dirt: Stone Man.
- Distressed Dude: Dr Light is kidnapped by "Proto Man" and its up to you to save him!
- Eternal Engine: Charge Man's level.
- Face Heel Turn: Proto Man, or so it seems...
- Improvised Platform: The Super Arrow can act as an extra foothold.
- Interface Screw: Gravity Man's level, which reverses gravity (and some of the controls with it) at certain points. Gravity Man himself does this himself during the battle with him.
- Master of Illusion: Dark Man
- Name's the Same: C'mon! Power Stone? Really?
- Spread Shot: The Crystal Eye explodes into a spread of three when it hits a wall.
- Stealth Pun: according to his CD data, Gyro Man likes a certain Greek sandwich: it wasn't specific, but they must be referring to a doner kebab, a.k.a. the "gyro".
- Super Dickery: According to the intro, Proto Man is the new Big Bad, but near the end of the game, it turns out that he was an impostor.
- Tank Goodness: The game's iteration of the Wily Machine is one, and it's also one of the largest of the Wily Machines, possibly tied with the Tyrannosaurus Rex version in Mega Man 9, in the series.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: The jetski segment in Wave Man's stage, which involves Auto Scrolling.
- Walking Armory: Napalm Man.