|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Metamorphosis (Henshin), also known as Emergence, is a 2013 hentai manga.
Saki Yoshida is a shy, friendless student. After graduating from middle school, she decides to make more friends, transforming her own image. Soon, after her first day in high school, an older guy called Hayato flirts with her and Saki falls head over heels for him. Before she realizes it, she has lost her virginity and is getting addicted to drugs. And things only get worse from here...
Inspired by Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis (hence the name and dark plot, and similar theme about transformation). Infamous for its ending, which is known for being a total turn off to hentai readers. Completely. Maybe, because, it's a little too realistic.
Written and drawn by L Shindo, serialized by Comic X-Eros on Japan. Published digitally by FAKKU Books on November 10, 2016.
- Compensated Dating: Saki engages on this to gain more money to buy fashion accessories. Let's just say the limits between "dating" and "prostitution" are crossed quickly.
- Crapsack World: The only thing this setting can be described as considering how many awful people Saki meets in quick succession. It says a lot when an ugly bastard that hires Saki for a date is one of the "nicer" characters.
- Downer Ending: Saki is viciously assaulted by her former classmates, who don't even recognize her and steal all her money after they take turns kicking and stomping on her stomach, which causes her to have a miscarriage. Finally realizing how far she's fallen and concluding that she has nothing left to live for, Saki deliberately overdoses on the rest of her heroin and dies alone and forgotten in a filthy bathroom.
- Drugs Are Bad: Saki's growing addiction to more and more drugs don't helps her at all, allowing her to be abused or giving "service" without being paid. It reaches such a point she chooses drugs over cash as payment for her "services", leading her to getting kicked out of Hayato's apartment because she couldn't cover his loan to Obata-san. Even when she is pregnant and decides to keep the baby, swearing to never do drugs again, she regularly shoots up because she can't bear the withdrawal symptoms. She ultimately dies of a heroin overdose.
- Driven to Suicide: Saki decides to take a lethal dose of heroin at the end of the story.
- Dying Dream: Saki has one of living with her infant daughter on a better future.
- Exploitation Film: The manga version of this. The story is mostly about the sexual and psychological degradation of Saki.
- Friendless Background: Saki has one as result of shyness. Trying to get friends only sets her on an worse path though.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Averted, and Saki feels very, very guilty about it.
- Hate Sink: Pretty much nearly all of the characters surrounding Saki, from her abusive parents, to her boyfriend Hayato, to her female so-called "friends", to all the men who rape poor Saki. This girl is pretty much cursed.
- Horrible Judgement of Character: Saki herself, which leads her to many of the horrors that plague her. Also Saki's mother, who judges that her husband was "seduced" by Saki and scolds her over the incestuous acts between the two instead of, you know, calling the police.
- Humans Are Bastards: One can interpenetrate the message of this story as such. The fact that all of the characters surrounding Saki are shown to be horrible, vile people, and that the story is about Saki's life being destroyed because of them, definitely backs this up.
- Love At First Sight: And portrayed very negatively. Saki kisses, has sex and consumes drugs with a guy she met for the first time on the same day.
- Meganekko: Saki at the beginning of the story.
- Rage Against the Reflection: Near of the end, Saki looks at herself on the mirror of a bathroom and crushes it in impotent rage.
- Parental Incest: Saki's father rapes her, over and over again.
- Porn with Plot: It's a tragedy, mainly.
- Slut Shaming: Because they're forcing her to have sex with them due to blackmail, Saki is popular with the boys and is often surrounded by them. Upon noticing this, Saki's friends think that she is becoming too much of a diva and hear rumors that she's screwing all the boys in the class, so they vandalize her desk with insults and death threats. They also make the boys help vandalize her desk, too.
- Teens Are Monsters: A group of teenagers (Saki's former classmates) beat up and rape a homeless, pregnant Saki at the end of the story.
- Your Cheating Heart:
- Saki prostitutes herself with an older man, cheating on her boyfriend Hayato, but by this point it's obvious that Hayato sees Saki as a bootycall rather than a girlfriend. In fact, he barely cares about her having sex with other boys in her school later, laughing about the videos the boys posted online with Obata-san and Tetsu-san at the bar.
- Saki's dad, technically, by raping his own daughter.