Michiyo Akaishi (赤石 路代 Akaishi Michiyo, born October 11, 1959) is a Japanese manga artist born in Urawa (now Saitama), Saitama Prefecture, Japan. She graduated from Saitama Prefectural Dai-Ichi Girls High School. Akaishi then attended Musashino Art University where she graduated with a degree in commercial plastic model design. In 1979, she won first place in the Shogakukan Shinjin Comic Award contest.
Akaishi's debut story, Marshmallow Tea wa Hitori de, appeared in the January 1980 issue of Bessatsu Shōjo Comic. Another story, One More Jump, won the 1994 Shogakukan Manga Award for children's manga.
Some of her works are:
- Akatsuki no Aria
- Alexander Daiou - Tenjou no Oukoku
- Angel Trumpet
- Amakusa 1637
- Cinema no Teikoku
- Honoo no Alpen Rose
- Private Actress
- Sōrin no Amaterasu – Ten no Shinwa Chi no Eien
- Ten Yori Mo Hoshi Yori Mo
- Towa Kamo Shirenai (also known as Eien Kamoshirenai)
Some tropes found in her works are:
- Action Girl/Magical Girl: Some of her leads.
- The Beautiful Elite
- Coming of Age Story: Many of the characters in her stories go through lots of changes in their viewpoints and beliefs
- Josei: Her more recent works, including Private Actress and Amakusa 1637. They're often mistaken for Shoujo pieces, however.
- Only Six Faces
- Reincarnation: A good number of her plots are related to past lives.
- Shoujo: Her early stories, like Ten Yori Mo Hoshi Yori Mo or Honoo no Alpen Rose