Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: A work makes no sense.
- Straight: Bob and Alice makes no rational sense.
- Exaggerated: Bob and Alice is two hours of unconnected symbolism and random imagery. No one in the movie is named Bob or Alice.
- Downplayed: Bob and Alice mostly makes sense, except for that one scene two-thirds of the way in.
- Alice and Bob is somewhat confusing, but mostly makes sense.
- Justified: Bob and Alice is told from the perspective of an unmedicated schizophrenic with positive symptoms.
- Inverted': Bob and Alices plot is as explained as clearly as possible. All plot threads are tied up and all phenomena are explained.
- Bob and Alice cannot make heads or tails of the reader.
- Subverted: Bob and Alice is a story within a story, and the "outside" story does make sense.
- Mind Screwdriver
- The story looks like it makes no sense whatsoever, but near the ending someone explains it and it suddenly makes sense.
- The story makes sense but you need to see the end first
- Double Subverted: Then the outside story breaks down.
- Parodied: Bob, Alice, and their friend Henry Spencer move into a house.
- Deconstructed: Bob and Alice begin the story sane and fall into insanity as reality breaks down and nothing they do can stop it.
- Alternatively, it's best to leave the work uncomprehended at all.
- Reconstructed: Bob and Alice, now insane, go on to narrate Bob and Alice II, a story about them trying to get Bob and Alice II published.
- Zig Zagged: Bob and Alice makes no sense up until The Reveal. It makes complete sense then. Until the ending when the crazy train comes into the station.
- Averted: The story makes sense.
- Enforced: "I'm the goddamn David Lynch".
- Lampshaded: "Don't bother with that. It's probably just symbolic of your feelings towards your father."
- Invoked: The Walrus Was Paul, in which confusing the audience is the only goal.
- Defied: Alice takes it upon herself to explain every plot development clearly.
- Discussed: "A giant phallic monster is going to burst out of the wall now, isn't it?"
- "Considering what just happened, I don't think that any of this is going to start making any more sense any time soon."
- Conversed: "I didn't mind the characters or the acting, just the bucket of acid the screenwriter took before writing the third act."
- Played For Laughs: Surreal Humor
- Played For Drama: Bob's life make no sense and he kills himself, being unable to tolerate it anymore.
Back to Mind Screw...I...I think.