Angelic Days is a manga High School AU, subverted, of the cast of the hugely popular Neon Genesis Evangelion. It's really an adaptation of the video game based off of Evangelion called Girlfriend of Steel 2.
The story of it continues Shinji's dream sequence in Episode 26 of Evangelion. In the High School AU, Asuka is his childhood friend along with Kaworu, Rei is an extroverted, easily excited new transfer student, Misato is the homeroom teacher, and Ritsuko is the school nurse. Yui Ikari is still alive. The Evangelions and Angels make up very little of the plot. Most of it is Romantic Comedy hijinks, and needless to say it ends much happier than the apocalyptic original series.
It lasted 6 volumes from 2003-2005.
- Accidental Pervert: Shinji is accused of being this after he bumped into Rei on accident, though Shinji really saw nothing.
- Adults Are Useless: Because Evas hate them.
- Toji even references this trope: when he becomes an adult, he becomes useless too.
- Bishonen: Kaworu, of course, but it's lampshaded.
- Crash Into Hello: See Accidental Pervert
- First Girl Wins
- High School AU: Subverted. All the giant robots and angels and stuff? It's still there. It's just that Angelic Days is idealistic.
- Ho Yay: Kaworu towards Shinji
- Everyone Can See It: Shinji/Asuka
- I Just Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Rei and Kensuke for Shinji and Asuka respectively in the end.
- Loveable Sex Maniac: Toji
- Mind Screw: Just what are Kaworu and the Evas? Because the origins for the canon don't fit. ...I think.
- New Transfer Student: Rei
- Romantic Comedy
- Tsundere: Asuka (though not quite as bitchy), Rei as well at first.
- Victorious Childhood Friend
- Yandere: "I'm a friend to Shinji. And only to Shinji."
- The person who said that was Kaworu