|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
One Piece's tenth movie, written by Eiichiro Oda himself and so far the only movie to be considered part of the canon. Toei personally asked Oda to write the script. The film is set between the Thriller Bark arc and Sabaody Archipelago arc.
The Straw Hats received news that their hometowns in East Blue are in trouble and decide to put off adventuring to go help out. Only to meet a mysterious flying pirate ship, led by the infamous pirate Golden Lion Shiki, the same pirate who managed to escape the inescapable undersea prison Impel Down and stands among Gold Roger and Whitebeard. After abducting Nami for her navigational skills, Shiki sends Luffy and the rest of the crew hurling down to his personal flying islands. There, the separated Straw Hats find them in a battle of survival with terrifying beasts in the mysterious islands.
- Action Prologue/In Medias Res: The movie begins with Luffy being chased by a variety of bizarre and powerful creatures on a bunch of floating islands, with the crew split up and Nami being held captive. Later on the film goes back to a week earlier to explain how everyone got there.
- Animal Motifs: Golden Lion Shiki for lions, as well as lions being the "king of beasts" so it is symbolic that Shiki commands an army of beasts to do his bidding.
- Attack of the 50 Foot Whatever: Shiki's plan is to send giant mutant animals to the East Blue and have them wreak havoc.
- Badass Damsel: Nami. When Shiki had kidnapped her, she defiantly turned down his offers to join him and managed to escape on her own. She would later set up bombs to blow up the plant Daft Green, despite exposure to the plants poisons her. She would also give his men false information so their ship would get caught up in a giant storm which would destablize things further.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: The entire Straw Hat crew get to wear these. This may be the only time we will see Luffy wearing a dress shirt, suit and tie outside a colorspread. See them here in all their glory.
- Berserk Button: Kidnapping and hurting any of his crewmates, particularly what Shiki did to Nami, is a sure way to anger Luffy.
- Brooke gets offended when the Guntai Ari (an army of man-eating ants) ignore him because they considered the living skeleton to be "leftovers".
- BFG: The Straw Hats storm Shiki's base with everyone carrying these. Including those who would hardly, if not never, fight with weapons such as Luffy and Sanji.
- Big Brother Is Watching: Shiki keeps an eye on his territories via giant roaming surveillance snail.
- Big Damn Heroes: A particular strong example occurs when the Straw Hats march into Shiki's headquarters, carrying cannons and using them against Shiki's large force of allies as a way of saying "hello" before really beginning to fight.
Luffy: You idiot. Nami didn't sacrifice herself. She came here as a vanguard!
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Shiki, Indigo, and Scarlet engage in this. The trope is pretty common in One Piece, but uniquely, the trio seem to be doing it deliberately.
- Chekhov's Gun: We are reminded earlier on in the movie that Luffy is immune to thunder. His final attack that defeated Shiki incorporated lightning.
- Colourful Theme Naming: Shiki's main crewmembers all have a color in their name. Golden Lion Shiki. Dr Indigo. Scarlett.
- Cue the Sun: After Shiki's defeat at the hands of Luffy, the sun rises.
- Disproportionate Retribution/Fantastic Racism/Irrational Hatred: Shiki has a particular dislike towards East Blue, having been the place of his old rival's, Gold Roger, execution. He considered the seas to a be disgrace to Roger as its the weakest. To the point he wants to destroy the entire area with his army of beasts as a warning to the World Government. Its also the reason why he antagonizes the Straw Hats when he finds out most of the members are from there.
- Fainting: A Running Gag with Xiao who faints at the slightest surprise.
- Fan Service: Nami, for many of her scenes in the film.
- Floating Continent: Shiki has a base of operations, thanks to his Float-Float Fruit.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: At one point Brooke is shown dressed like a hippie, holding a "cigarette" between his index finger and thumb.
- Girlish Pigtails: Nami sports these throughout the movie.
- Guns Akimbo: Part of their Big Damn Heroes moment. The only time thus far either Luffy or Zoro use firearms.
- I Wished You Were Dead: Xiao and her mother regret expressing relief over Shiki leaving for East Blue once they realize that most of the Straw Hats are from there.
- Let's Split Up, Gang!: The Straw Hats are split up by Shiki early in the movie.
- Mad Scientist: Dr Indigo with a clown-like appearance.
- Meaningful Echo: When Shiki thoroughly beats the Straw Hats, it was sunset. When Luffy defeats Shiki, it was sunrise.
- Meganekko: Robin sports a pair of glasses for a good half of the movie.
- Milestone Celebration: In honor of the series' Tenth year anniversary. It was also why Oda personally wrote the script.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: Merveille is home to several of these.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown: What Shiki does to the crew midway into the movie.
- Plot Parallel: This is twice now that Shiki's plans for world domination had been stopped by a man from East Blue.
- Power Floats: Thanks to his devil fruit, Shiki can literally cause inanimate objects to levitate, including entire islands.
- Psycho Serum: SIQ, which causes mutations in animals and turns them vicious.
- Punny Name: Luffy names Nami's electric bird friend "Billy". Biribiri is a Japanese onomatopoeia for electrical tingling.
- Red Sky, Take Warning: When Shiki arrives to get back Nami and later thoroughly trashes the Straw Hats, the sky is particularly red due to the sun setting.
- Rotoscoping: For Shiki, Indigo, and Scarlet's dance at the beginning of the film.
- Rule of Cool: Oda admitted the whole "Dressed up Straw Hats march" was entirely for this reason.
- Scenery Porn
- Shout-Out: The scene with Scarlet, the pervert gorilla, holding Robin hostage at the top of a tower looks very familiar.
- Signature Laugh:
- Shiki: "Jihahahaha".
- Indigo: "Piropiropiro".
- Team Pet: Billy.
- Technicolor Science: Shown when Chopper and Usopp break into Indigo's lab.
- Underestimating Badassery: Shiki is a guy who really doesn't check his headlines or if his opponent is down for good. Luffy recovers from his "final" attacks twice in the film and he still treats him like a nuisance rather then a full on threat. Big Mistake.
- Ungrateful Bastard: After the Straw Hats went out of their way to warn him of an incoming typhon, Shiki decides to kidnap Nami to be his new navigator and nearly killed the rest of the crew by sending them hurling down several stories from the air to his floating islands as prey for his army of beasts.
- Unstoppable Rage: Shiki managed to get Luffy the angriest he's been in a long time.
Luffy: You think after everything you've done to my friend, and my sea, that I'm going to let you get away with all of this?!!
- Winged Humanoid: The inhibitants of Merveille have feathers growing out of their forearms, without knowing why or how. After Shiki's defeat and the return of their island to the sea, they discover they can indeed fly.
- Wrestler in All of Us: A bear does a suplex to a giant mantis early in the film.