|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
(watching a kung fu movie)
Not an index, but a Trope Trope: When a trope is either so played out, so stupid, or so racist/sexist/whatever, that seeing it makes some portion of the audience go berserk.
Tropes that most likely can irritate the audience are as follows:
- Wall Bangers. Part of the death cycle for a trope; any trope that qualifies is already at least close to becoming a Discredited Trope.
- Values Dissonance either because the trope is obsolete or does not match the person's cultural values. Continuing to use such a trope when the underlying morality behind it has been discredited is sure to get some annoyed reactions.
- Enforced Tropes that exist solely so the work could comply with laws and regulations. Goes double if those tropes go against the creator's vision and audience's wishes. Alternatively, tropes that exist solely for the work to be more profitable at the expense of the quality of the work.
- Tropes that are executed poorly far more often than they are is executed well.
- Tropes, despite not being essential to the genre, are everywhere. In many cases, the usage of the trope feels like marking a box off of a checklist.
Note that subversions and deconstructions are probably already playing too close to the line, and playing them with even a hint that they're being played straight will get certain people up in arms.
No examples, please. This article defines the term.