|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Three is a common number in ensembles.
The most common pattern for this is for two members of the group to be each other's Foils, frequently coming into conflict with each other, with the third member of the group acting as the mediator, keeping the team together and balancing their respective personalities.
Power Trios can also be embedded in larger ensembles. Three Plus Two is a Power Trio within a Five-Man Band. The Five Temperament version of the Four-Temperament Ensemble sometimes manifests as two Power Trios with the same central member. A Six-Student Clique is often broken into two Power Trios and a Magnificent Seven Samurai often has one, and sometimes two, Power Trios of its own.
Below, we list the many variations of a Power Trio. Freudian Trio is one of the more frequently found versions and is often the basis of the other trios. They can overlap.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: The Chick, The Smart Guy and The Big Guy.
- Big, Thin, Short Trio: One big, one thin, and one short.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Hair colors. Usually results in the Dumb Blonde, Brainy Brunette and Fiery Redhead.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Three characters Colour-Coded for Your Convenience as red, green and blue.
- Comic Trio: A jerk that comes up with shady but questionable and hare-brained plans that always leads to failure due to his arrogance or due to his idiot friend who blindly follows instructions to bring them to action ruins them while their friend, who is a relatively normal person, warns the jerk about the flaws in his plans who refuses to listen and makes sure the idiot doesn't do anything stupid but fails to stop them.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: A Power Trio of elemental powers.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: A Mighty Glacier, a Squishy Wizard, and a Fragile Speedster.
- Freudian Trio: The three characters represent the Ego, Superego and Id of Freudian psychology.
- The Hecate Sisters: Three female characters representing the maiden, the mother, and the crone.
- Knight, Knave, and Squire: One idealistic fighter, one pragmatic fighter and one inexperienced fighter.
- Land, Sea, Sky: One of land, one of sea, and one of sky.
- Rock Trio: Three-man rock band containing guitar, bass and drums.
- Same Sex Triplets: Three siblings from the same pregnancy who are all the same gender.
- Terrible Trio: A villain with two henchmen.
- Three Amigos: The Hero, a friend of the same gender and a friend of the opposite gender.
- The Three Faces of Eve: Three female characters representing the child, the mother and the seductress.
- Token Trio: White male, white female and a male of a visible minority.
- Town Girls: Where one is butch, one who is femme and one who is neither.
- Two Girls and a Guy: The Hero and her Red Oni (or Blue Oni) complete with a guy who may or not be just a friend.
- Two Guys and a Girl: The Hero and The Lancer, mediated by The Chick.
- With a Friend and a Stranger: Male center, joined by a childhood friend and a girl from out of nowhere.