|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Prep and Landing is a 2009 computer animated half hour Christmas Special produced by Walt Disney Animation Studios.
Wayne is an old pro who's been working on Prep and Landing for over 200 years and is finally hoping to receive a promotion. After being turned down, he is teamed up with a new recruit, Lanny. The two head off to Timmy's house to prepare for Santa's arrival. But with Lanny's inexperience and Wayne's new defeatist attitude, things go wrong real quickly, and the house is not prepped in time. And with the threat of a terrible snow storm, it appears that Santa has no choice but to skip Timmy's house that year. Realizing the error of his ways, Wayne only has a limited amount of time to make things right.
It has been followed by a seven minute short for the 2010 holiday season titled "Operation: Secret Santa" featuring Betty White as Mrs. Claus and in 2011, "Prep and Landing: Naughty vs Nice" about the lists being tampered with by a child who got a hold of elven technology. It was also the first Disney property to cross over with Marvel in the comic book "Mansion: Impossible" in which Wayne and Lanny must prepare the Avengers Mansion for Santa's arrival.
Prep and Landing provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: ABC.com's official website contains information and backstory about the characters not revealed in the special itself.
- Better as Friends: Wayne and Maggee according to the website.
- Blackmail: Wayne threatens Magee by saying that if she doesn't patch his call through to Santa, he's going to tell everyone "about you and Tiny!" It works.
- Brick Joke: A somewhat literal one, involving a heavy brick-shaped fruitcake. It gets forgotten early in the show only to resurface for the finale.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Lanny's a clumsy rookie, but when the situation gets critical, he proves just why he was his class' top student.
- Cameo: The labrador that gets sedated at the beginning is a recolor of Bolt.
- Chekhov's Gun: The Christmas decorations Lanny points out after landing on the house.
- All of the elves' gadgets demonstrated in the first sequence.
- Circling Birdies: Substitute 'birdies' with 'Christmas lights'.
- Crazy Prepared: The entire Prep And Landing elite force. They have a device and protocol for every problem that might arise. Except for disgruntled elves who fall behind schedule. But even then...
- Does This Remind You of Anything??: Tiny's hat suddenly shoots straight up when Wayne threatens Magee about "telling everyone about you and Tiny."
- The Faceless: Santa is only ever seen from the shoulders down. Tiny, on the other hand, is so short (even by elf standards) that only the top of his hat gets seen on-camera.
- The Grinch: Wayne considers his Prep and Landing duty as his "job" and nothing more. But after getting passed over for a promotion (his only motivation for continuing to do good work for 200 years), his ego has become deflated, his enthusiasm for the job is gone, and he becomes lazy and goofs off (during a mission) instead of fulfilling his duties. He even acknowledges it with an aside: "Yeah, I'm being naughty."
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Wayne is Flik and Magee is Dr. Elliot Reed!
- Hold Your Holiday Horses: The elves have an extensive vocabulary of Christmas-themed jargon, codenames, and (yes), euphemisms.
- Hot-Blooded: At least two of Santa's team of eight reindeer seem to tackle every emotion they express to its extreme.
- How Can Santa Deliver All Those Toys?
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Non-alcoholic version. Magee drinks egg nog lattes whenever she's stressed out.
- Instant Sedation: The elves carry around ornaments that explode into magic dust that causes anyone affected to instantly fall asleep.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Thrasher, Dasher's cousin, who threatens Lanny on their first meeting. The "heart of gold" part is that he's a good friend of Wayne according to the website.
- Mission Control
- Naive Newcomer: Lanny
- Oblivious Guilt Slinging: Timmy does this to Wayne when he's talking in his sleep.
- Passed Over Promotion
- Saving Christmas: Wayne and Lanny must do this for one little boy.
- Shout-Out: To almost every Christmas carol in the English language — the Prep and Landing force uses dozens of easily-recognized Christmas phrases as slang terms AND code names, such as "figgy pudding" for a house that must be skipped because it wasn't prepped for Santa to land there.
- Also: the codename for the sleigh itself is Rosebud.
- In the french dub, it's instead "The Red Line", in a clear reference to the famous Red Telephone.
- The scrawny little tree from A Charlie Brown Christmas is on a shelf behind Magee's desk.
- When Wayne is goofing off, the first thing that pops on the TV is Mickey's Christmas Carol.
- True Meaning of Christmas: Wayne (re)learns this eventually.
Operation: Secret Santa provides examples of:
- Early-Bird Cameo: Noel from Naughty Vs. Nice can be seen with the other elves at the end.
- Nessie from "The Ballad of Nessie short can be seen in Santa's secret workshop
- If You Die, I Call Your Stuff:
Magee: Good luck. And if something happens to you I just wanted to say... I’m claiming your snowmobile.
- Mythology Gag: One of the items displayed in Santa's secret workshop is a green coat.
- Also counts as Shown Their Work.
Mansion: Impossible provides examples of:
- Crossover: And with The Avengers, believe it or not!
- Shield Surf: Wayne and Lanny do it with Captain America's shield at one moment!
Naughty vs Nice provides examples of:
- The Ace: Noel.
- Always Someone Better: The reason Wayne resents his brother.
- Big Damn Kiss: "Come here, you nerd!"
- Big Little Brother: Noel.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Noel.
- Cain and Abel: Wayne and Noel. And Wayne is the Cain.
- Catch Phrase: Noel's "Jingle BAM!!"
- Child Prodigy: Grace, the hacker.
- Continuity Nod: Timmy is the first kid to be seen on one of the monitors.
- Eureka Moment: Lanny mentions the "magic word" when the hacker is demanding the password to the Naughty & Nice database. What magic word? "Please."
- Freak-Out: When Wayne learns that Noel could become Elf of the Year instead of him, he completely snaps.
- Freudian Excuse: Grace, the hacker, is acting out because she thinks she's The Unfavorite.
- Gatling Good: While Prep & Landing elf teams carry grenade-like Christmas ornaments ("sparkle") to help deal with detection, Coal elf teams carry multi-barreled "sparkle" guns to do the same.
- Gone Horribly Wrong: All the JINGLESMELL1337 hacker wanted to do with the stolen device was simply transfer themselves from the "naughty" to "nice" list (which they do). But due to a technical hiccup in the process, the device starts transferring everyone else onto the Naughty list...
- I Call It Vera: Noel has a pet name for his sparkle gun.
- Leet Lingo: JINGLESMELL1337
- Not So Different: Wayne and Grace, in their relation with their respective brothers.
- Not So Fast Bucko: The technology is recovered, the hacker realizes the error of her ways, Wayne and Noel reconciliate... And all of a sudden, Christmas is endangered for THE ENTIRE PLANET!!
Wayne: "Oh frostbite."
- Off-Screen Breakup: Magee and Tiny aren't dating anymore.
- Samus Is a Girl: the hacker turns out to be a girl.
- Saving Christmas: And this time, for the whole world.
- Shout-Out: Ralphie and the "I like Santa" kid appear in the line to see Santa.