|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Psychopathic Records, also known as "The Hatchet", is an American independent record label based in Royal Oak, Michigan that specializes in hip hop music. The label was founded in 1991 by Alex Abbiss and hip hop group Insane Clown Posse.
In addition to producing music, the label has divided into several other departments that deal with video, merchandise, and professional wrestling. Psychopathic runs its own manufacturing and distribution operations for merchandise, managing nearly 30 full-time employees. The label produces an average 10 million US$ in revenue per year, and has been continuously producing well since its creation.
An imprint, Hatchet House, was created to test-run material to see if the Juggalos liked it enough for the artists to be on the main Psychopathic label. They also have an Internet radio station, and their own wrestling league, Juggalo Championship Wrestling (formally Juggalo Championshit Wrestling).
Current Psychopathic artists:
Current Hatchet House artists:
- DJ Clay
- Mike E. Clark
- Dayton Family
Former Psychopathic artists:
- Axe Murder Boyz
- MC Breed
- Project Born
- Zug Izland
- Soopa Villainz
Former Hatchet House artists:
- Axe Murder Boyz
- Motown Rage
- Tali Demon
- The R.O.C.
- Chop Shop
Psychopathic Records includes examples of these tropes:
- An Axe to Grind
- Circus of Fear
- Evil Sounds Deep: Played straight with the original incarnation of Dark Lotus, where the darkest lyrics were delivered by deep, gravelly voiced rapper Marz. The rest of the label averts it:
- Insane Clown Posse: Shaggy 2 Dope, who has a scratchier, higher voice than Violent J, is usually the one to perform the "evil" parts of any given song. He's also more vicious in their wrestling matches. In fact, the fact that his voice ISN'T a stereotypical deep, booming bass makes him just that bit more intimidating.
- Twiztid: Neither Monoxide nor Madrox has a particularly deep voice.
- ABK, who has a prominent lisp.
- Newest member Big Hutch (a.k.a., Cold187um) doesn't really have anything that sounds evil either.
- I Love the Dead: This occurs in a lot of songs by Psychopathic artists, including ICP's "Dead Body Man".
- The Merch: Psychopathic is known for this.
- Monster Clown
- The Stoner: Pot smoking comes up a lot in Psychopathic lyrics.