|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Sou Touma is an MIT-graduated-student who comes back to Japan because he wants to know how it feels to be a high school student. On the other hand, Mizuhara Kana is a strong girl who loves sports. Together, they work to solve the cases that happen around them.
Created by Motohirou Katou.
Shows example of:
- Action Girl: Kana.
- Always Murder: Averted. There are great deal of cases like burglary, vandalism, thieving, even mistaken-for-two-timer case.
- Asshole Victim: A detective series is bound to have these, even though it's often subverted
- Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny: Touma's little sister. Definitely not played for laughs.
- Batman Gambit: Toma employs this at the climax of the first chapter. He bluffs the suspect by pouring liquid that he says could trace the culprit's name. The liquid is just water, but the suspect scrambles it out of fear, proving himself as the culprit. The bluff will falter if the suspect maintains his cool just a little bit longer, but as Toma says in the conclusion, only machines are completely controlled by logic.
- Brains and Brawn: Touma and Kana.
- Catch Phrase: Quod Erat Demonstratum
- Doubles as a Title Drop.
- Child Prodigy: Touma has a BS in physics before the others even started high school.
- Church of Happyology: During one of Touma's flashbacks, District Attorney Annie Craner was assigned to prosecute a widower who is accused of murdering her husband so she can inherit his fortune to continue paying for the self-help cult-like group called "The Path to Arcadia", an organization she is a part of. As the trial continues, the group sends death threats at Annie, protest against her and accuse the prosecution of a Witch Hunt.
- Crossover: With CMB and Rocket Man. Shinra is Touma's cousin.
- Dead Little Sister: How he become True Neutral in the early series.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: But recent development has shown otherwise....
- It Runs in The Family: His sister is a linguist Cloudcuckoolander, his parents are renowned archeologists.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Loki was very lonely until Touma showed up.
- Improbable Age: Touma, the 14 years old MIT graduate.
- Kendo Team Captain: Kana, despite being a girl, really counts.
- Masculine Girl, Feminine Boy
- Mind Screw: In Chapter 38 where the bosses of Shanghai mafia kill each other. According to the witness, the last boss killed is murdered by the first boss killed. The truth is, Toma's friend, Hu Jia Hui, has feigned the death of the first boss in order to incite a Cycle of Revenge that destroys the mafia. Then who kills Hu in the end?
- Non-Action Guy: Touma, so much. But that doesn't mean he's a complete wimp, though.
- No Social Skills: As a result, Touma often incidentally angers other people, but that's because he just doesn't know any better. Kana helps him get over it, though.
- Onsen Episode: Subverted in the fact that it while the lands had an onsen, there was a murder and they went there to translate documents. They never got a chance to get into the onsen itself.
- The Plan: Employed by Touma and the villains alike.
- Shown Their Work
- Tear Jerker: in Chapter 10, a girl suffering from tuberculosis is forced to work as fake clairvoyant to a corrupt professor in order to obtain medicine. When the scam is exposed, the professor fled the country with all her money. Read it from this page onwards. Bet you cannot hold your tears there.
- They Fight Crime
- Viewers Are Geniuses: This is probably why it took so long to get scanlated, since many of the terms are just too... advanced for someone who didn't take university.