|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Detectives "Turk" and "Rooster" are two of the best detectives on the force. "Turk" coaches softball, "Rooster" is a chess genius. Both are good cops.
But after "Turk" plants evidence that lands a child killer in jail, suspects they've had run-ins with start winding up dead with mysterious poems nearby, the chase is on for a vigilante serial killer with a thirst for righteousness.
Pre-release it was hoped that the film would revive its stars' faltering credibility, as the last time they teamed up the world was gifted with the modern classic Heat. Alas, it did terribly both critically and commercially.
This film provides examples of:
- Asshole Victims
- All Crimes Are Equal: To the killer.
- Calling Card: The little poems left by the killer.
- Cowboy Cop: Both main characters.
- Detective Drama
- Diagonal Billing
- Dirty Cop: Both characters.
- Double Entendre:
Karen: Put the gun down!
- Dueling Stars Movie
- Everyone Is a Suspect
- Framing the Guilty Party
- How We Got Here: The film opens with the killers confession being read. It then shows everything leading up to that moment.
- Let Me At Him: The first attempt to arrest "Spider".
- Mind Screw: The story does this to the audience to keep the killer's identity secret.
- Miscarriage of Justice: The killer's reason for his actions.
- Murderer POV
- Necro Cam
- It Never Gets Any Easier: Mentioned, with a "You get numb to it."
- Off on a Technicality: What leads to the killer's Start of Darkness
- Poetic Serial Killer: Leaving a hand-written poem at the scene is actually part of the killer's modus operandi.
- Police Brutality
- Returning to the Scene: the killer
- Shoot Out the Lock: Attempted by one of the characters, but subverted.
"These old locks... I mean they're good."
- Smart People Play Chess: "Rooster", The Chessmaster
- Stay with Me Until I Die: the killer asks this moment.
- Suicide by Cop: the killer
- Sympathetic Murderer: For the most-part, at least.
- Vigilante Execution/Man