|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
Rolie Polie Olie is a computer-animated Canadian kids' show created by William Joyce, as well as Nelvana. The show was especially known for airing in the United States on the Disney Channel preschool block Playhouse Disney, as well as once airing in reruns on Disney Junior, the rebrand of Playhouse Disney.
The show focuses on the Polie Family, who live in a teapot-shaped house in a geometric world (Planet Polie) populated by robot-based characters. The stories revolve around a young robot named Olie learning life lessons and going on wacky adventures (either real or imaginative) while growing up. These often include his little sister Zowie, his inventor father, his hard-working mom, his fun-loving grandfather Pappy, and his dog Spot. Although most of the main cast is composed of circular bots, other characters are featured in other shapes, such as Olie's friend Billy Bevel and his family, who are square-shaped bots from Planet Cubey.
Provides Examples of:
- All CGI Cartoon
- Animation Bump: The framerate of the animation becomes slower in the later seasons.
- Big Damn Movie: "The Great Defender of Fun".
- Character Title
- Christmas Episode: The show has some of these episodes, such as "Starry Starry Night" and "Jingle Jangle Day’s Eve".
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: In "Ciminin Toast" Olie and Zowie create a soup for their parents out of cereal, cheese, watermelon, gravy, dry spaghetti, marshmallows, peanut butter, hot dogs, a pickle, a banana, and even motor oil. It's so disgusting, even the sentient bowl they make the soup with turns Green Around the Gills. But Spot was more than happy to eat all of it anyway.
- Companion Cube: Zowie's rock in "I Find Rock".
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose In Life: The plot of the episode "What to Be" focuses around Olie thinking about what occupation he should take when he grows up, from a paleontologist to an orchestra conductor.
- Expressive Mask: Like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, faces turn up in some unusual places, like Olie's teapot house.
- Eye Take: In "Ciminin Toast", when Olie takes a whiff of the soup that he and Zowie made for their parents, it's so disgusting, his eyes grow wide, then shrink to the size of peas.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:
- This is one of few preschool series to get away with using the word "stupid" without it being cited as a "bad word", like Stanley.
- At the end of "Zowie Soupy Hero", Olie climbs a tree resulting in his pants getting ripped off, making him *****. Zowie even explicitly says so.
- The detective from the radio program in "Detective Polie's Cookie Caper" mentions having a "cold one", which is slang for alcohol. Olie and Zowie don't know that, thankfully.
- "Dingliedangliedoodle" references cussing.
- In a flashback in "Blinkin' Beacon Day", young versions of Percy, Uncle Gizmo, and Pappy are all shown "steely-dipping", which is the bot equivalent of Skinny Dipping.
- Halloween Episode: The episodes, "The Legend of Spookie Ookie", "Oooh Scary!", and "Zowie Queen of the Pumpkins".
- Homemade Inventions: Olie's father built a shrink ray at one point. It Makes Sense in Context.
- Mundane Utility: Said shrink ray.
- Mind Screw: The fact that literally everything has a face can be seen as this.
- Real After All: In "The Legend of Spookie Ookie", Pappy is asked to pretend to be the dreaded pumpkin monster Spookie Ookie and chase Olie and Zowie. Later that night, it does appear that Pappy in his Spookie Ookie costume chases Olie and Zowie around, but at the very end of the episode, however, it's revealed that Pappy himself has been asleep the entire time! Cue "Oh, Crap!".
- Santa Claus: Klanky Claus, the show's equivelant of Santa Claus.
- Space Pirate: Gloomius Maximus.
- Start My Own: In "The Best Doggone Show in the World", the Polie family prepares to watch their favorite variety show, but their television becomes sick, so the family gets an idea to do their version of the show.
- Stop Copying Me: Once, the little Zowie begins to parrot Olie, much to his annoyance. He eventually exploits this to make her go to bed.
- Three Shorts
- Title Theme Tune: "He's Rolie Polie Olie, he's small, and smart, and round!"
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Similar to Samus' Morph Ball — Spot can roll up into a sphere to travel somehow.
- You Mean "Xmas": The characters celebrate "Jingle-Jangle Day", which is similar to Christmas, as well as "Spookie Ookie Day" and "Gooey Hearts Day", which are similar to Halloween and Valentine's Day, respectively.